Is a $500 bill a good investment?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dalladalla80, Jul 21, 2019.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It's easier and nicer to display in the TPG casing, too...and you can display your bill with those plastic frame things also. That picture frame limits your options. You don't want to hang a $500 bill. You want to display it and then let people see it up-close. :cigar:

BenjaminFranklin1959D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

HawaiiCurrencyCollector Active Member

what does TPG stand for?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Third Party Grader

5. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

thanks!

6. GoldFinger1969

HCC, look at the note on Page 2 from SteveInTampa...you get those clear plastic 2" holders and they each hold up the bill....it's protected....has the serial number and the Freidberg # and other pertinent data....plus the grade....MUCH NICER for what is going to be one of the best/most expensive bills in your collection.

Framed bills are for non-collectors who get them as presents and often don't check prices and pay way above FMV.

7. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

The one I purchased does have the same casing/holders as the photo Steve posted. Excited to be getting it delivered tomorrow! It’s already on the island per the tracking info.

8. GoldFinger1969

9. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

10. GoldFinger1969

What do you mean "upkeep" ? The bills are encased in the mylar plastic...just keep them out of the sun and extreme temperature swings, I would guess.:D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  11. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

Ha! I guess the better word would’ve been “store” them.

12. GoldFinger1969

Display case...curio....china hutch.

Or you can put them flat in a shoe box or some of those special bill holders that they sell from Wizard.

A wall shelf is also an option to display it. Just make sure someone doesn't walk off with it.:D

13. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

iPhone quality for now until I get home to my SLR. But she’s here!

Attached Files:

SteveInTampa and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

Nice bill :D...congrats...I like to get my Saints and quality bills in 65 grade or higher (when affordable).

15. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

Thanks! Definitely enjoying this as my first note. Looking forward to others!

16. GoldFinger1969

I think the $500 goes for about 3X FV in PMG 65 and the $1,000 bill just under 4x for the same grade, am I correct ?

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That looks like nice quality.
    I don't think the "holder" qualifies as a frame.
    But I wouldn't take it out of there. (Protection etc.)

18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Not a big fan of the 65 grade, i think you would have had just as nice note
    And allot cheaper at a 64 if you wanted to stay unc, or 50,53,55,58 A/U
    Grade 65,s tend have alignment issue which really detract from there beauty.

19. GoldFinger1969

If you mean margins, I see it with the low-60's stuff but usually not that much at 65 if at all.

PMG 58 bills usually have good margins but there must be a problem with the paper that isn't showing up in pics/photos and might even be tought to see to the novice's naked eye (we talked about this with my $10 Gold Certificate).

20. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

A nice PMG 65 possibly would be. But for the bids on these go up new investors needed.

21. GoldFinger1969

I thought we were all in agreement that when you get to PMG 65 the margin (alignment) issues pretty much disappear...they may still be there but they don't JUMP out at you like PMG 63, 62, and even sometimes 64.

And the PMG 58's (and sometimes) below....the centering/margins SOMETIMES (but not always) closely match PMG 65 and higher. They're pretty The reason for the lower grade MUST be some waves or other blemishes in the paper that are not always jumping out via pics or even if in one's hand (as with that PMG 45 Gold Certificate I did a "GTG" with).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted