Is a 38 Jeff. Nickel and a 38 Jeff Nickel Proof two DIFFERENT coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kevinfred, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I know it sounds so elementary, yet if I'm putting a set together shouldn't I have both for it to be complete?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Yes, its a proof vs business strike. You also have the reverse of 38 and reverse of 40.

Do you need them both for a complete set? Only you can decide that.

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way, the Franklin set I put together has both a proof and uncirculated P mint half, and I did that because, though they are the same year and Mint, they are two different coins, struck on two different planchets.

5. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

That's pretty much how I've gone with it... I had my pages all set until I realized, "Oops... there are proofs from the 30s, 40s, etc." so out with those... have to re-start I guess... Are there any other nickels that are off the grid? (so to speak)

BUnc I'd love to hear how you built your Franklin set - maybe in a private if you have time/want to...

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

KF, possibly you do know already how to tell a proof from a business strike. If not use the Search button to check out the differences in proofs. You would be surprised how many post here defending their coin as a rare proof because it is 'Shiney'.

BUncirculated likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted