Is 2015 Truman RP the coin of the year

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LJRambo111, Jul 12, 2015.

1. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

You did make me reflect bit on one of my rules. Like the state quarters the presidential set will lose their desire to be collected but not until the series ends. The value of the PA PF 70 silver quarter. It dropped from about 550.00 a coin to 700.00 for the entire set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-S-SILV...188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce7ce5664

But I still have to say that as long as I didn't buy my Reverse proof presidential collection at aftermarket prices I'm still in. These coins will be sought after for quite a few years. I mean really if everyone is collecting a set of proof presidential coins they won't have a complete set.. This is due to the Mint dropping the ball and only minting 17000. But they minted 1. 7 million to 4 million for each of the previous proof presidential coins.

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page35.html

What were they thinking? Apparently they weren' thinking of the public. Which brings us to the final chapter when they decide to add insult to injury and make a reverse proof set and through even more disregard to their markets, later this year.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

You + a zillion of other people...Now post your PR70 classic coins.

4. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

Wow real judgemental. My father used to have a saying. It's better to be quiet and percieved stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt. What would you like in classic coin pics graded morgans or or no motto 1904 or indian head 10 or a complete peace dollar set, franklin half set, Liberty head half dollars (akaBarber), complete penny set. How about 40 morgans graded, or rolls of BU walking liberty, Rolls of BU morgans etc etc....... But you might not realize there isn't really any PR70. Classic coins Maybe a few CC morgans? How early would you like to go how about 1831? 1878?

5. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Today's mint sales report shows 16,850 Truman Sets sold. So, will the final mintage be less than 17,000 because some sets were garbage and destroyed by the mint and the mint will not/cannot make more efficiently?

If so, even though three president sets have target mintages of 17,000, one of the three will be the lowest. The difference will be insignificant, yet will it affect the market value?

6. statequarterguy

Yep, just like a few smart dealers grabbed a bunch of 1916-d dimes, as well as other key date coins, when they were issued.

As for other comments about how unpopular this and other modern series will be down the road, I don't see it. Except for a small market for top pops, all/most modern series are already dead, so there's only one direction to go and that's up. I suspect much of the demand for modern coins with record low mintages, including those sold in bags & rolls, is from dealers looking to the future. So, even if you don't like a modern series now, it will be marketed to you and we all know marketing will make you want it.

7. Yes, we have so many people out there chasing the lowest mintage items these days that it will impact the value. Just look at the pucks. Hawaii sells for so much more than others that are within a few hundred or thousand of it in mintage.

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Nobody said anything about missing out on the set(s) and/or not ordering them.

What was said was that their resale potential is going to be fairly limited to only a short time span of possibly a year, maybe two. But once the Presidential Dollars leave the spotlight (meaning, the series ends in 2016 and something new will come along) then it'll be a tough sell getting any appreciable dollars for them.

Given the number that are "currently" for sale (both graded and ungraded) tells me that a majority of the coins purchased were be resellers and now those resellers have to be able to sell what they have.

The US Mint site sold out in 15 minutes but now, what was sold by the US Mint still needs to be sold in the retail market and there appears to be plenty to go around once a buyer is willing to cough up the necessary funds. This does not mean that those buyers are going to have an interest in these coins in the future and if that happens, then the prices will go down considerably.

Future "potential" for a coin is directly related to whether or not anybody wants it and the fewer people that want it enough to pay a serious premium the lower the premium becomes. I expect that those that wanted them, pretty much have them or will have them shortly.

The real "tell" might very well be what the Truman coins sell for once the Eisenhower is released, and then the Kennedy, and then the Johnson.

Add to that the fact that 2016 may not even have coin & chronicles set since, who really cares about Nixon's Chronicles? Ford wasn't even elected and his biggest "chronicle" was in issuing a Pardon for Nixon, which leaves Reagan.

Of course, again, there's the old hype about "unique", and "First", and "Rare" and all the other words used to convince folks that these have tremendous "Investment" potential but the reality of the situation is, is that there are coins out there with much lower mintages which come in a variety of grades that a lot of folks just do not have any interest in or the primary interest is in the precious metal content which has increased in price since the coin was issued.

Folks are certainly welcome to believe whatever they want it's just my "belief" that they should be informed about realities while forming their beliefs instead of believing all the sales hype which gets tossed around so freely upon a coins release.

These are modern coins that have absolutely ZERO precious metal content, do not have great eye appeal and are all in the PR65-PR70 grade which basically boils down to, they just are not that exciting!

If silver ever reaches $45 an ounce, that Truman medal may very well have more value than the RP.

Having said all that, lets revisit this coin, these coins, in 2018 and see where they are at?

Volante and Dancing Fire like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've marked my calendar.........

10. 19Lyds

I agree, get in on the ground floor. You can't miss, especially today! I still have one set left from the 5 I bought.

As for the US Mint, they forgot the basic tenants of coin collecting which is, the fewer there are the more folks want them. In recently published statements, they based their production figures on past "Coin & Chronicles Sets" sales totally forgetting the fact that these sets were "different" from what was offered in the past! The only possible reason I can see for this is that the folks making the decision were either NOT qualified to make such a decision or they simply were NOT paying attention!

This was a good thing as it created an instant windfall for those that WERE paying attention (Just like the 2011 25th Anniversary SAE Sets!)

11. 19Lyds

I wouldn't expect you to see it.

12. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I thought me and you were disagreeing earlier in this thread, but your above post is pretty spot on 19Lyds. (The first of the three)

13. Mr Roots

I'm not a collector of pucks but Hawaii is a very popular place and I believe the consensus is the coin is prettier than many others...those factors in correlation with the mintage gives it value right now....I'm still sure I'll be buying these in the future for the silver value only.

14. statequarterguy

Well, actually, the mint did have the cojones to lie to us all in a CW response about the mintages. They claimed they also considered reverse proof sales, which is total BS. If they considered RP sales, why are the mintages the same, close to or less than sets that have no RP's?

15. statequarterguy

A very astute analysis for the short run, but like I said above, you're completely discounting the likely future scenario, especially sense these dead modern series now have some uber low mintage keys to attract collectors.

Except for a small market for top pops, all/most modern series are already dead, so there's only one direction to go and that's up. I suspect much of the demand for modern coins with record low mintages, including those sold in bags & rolls, is from dealers looking to the future. So, even if you don't like a modern series now, it will be marketed to you and we all know marketing will make you want it.

16. Mr Roots

You focus way to much on mintage...what one man calls a high mintage another calls low, it's all relative......Mintage plays a way bigger role long term in coins made for circulation, not coins that have all been horded in MS69&70

Dancing Fire likes this.
  17. Mr Roots

I got 1982 Washington half dollars for only $29.99......Buy two get the third free!

18. statequarterguy

I don't see it. Low mintage & demand are the key factors causing these types of sets issued over the last 20 years to be big winners.

19. statequarterguy

That's a little high, are those going up? The last time I bought some, I paid a little over melt, since it's a coin with millions minted.

20. Dancing Fire

Take your pick...post a classic MS/PR70 classic coin.

21. Dancing Fire

Unless silver goes wild. IMO, these sets will sell for below issue price by 2018.

Draft saved Draft deleted