Is 2015 Truman RP the coin of the year

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LJRambo111, Jul 12, 2015.

1. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

The 2015 reverse proof Truman is the coin of the year.

I say this because a lot of people are collecting the presidential proof sets. and the US mint blew it and only minted / sold 16,825 sets of the chronicles. I am looking for this to keep increasing in price once collectors realize they need or want a complete their set.

This proof president set allowed collectors to collect a set of the without investing a lot of money. But the mint blew it and only produced 16,825 of the Truman RP. Now all the people collecting the presidental proofs will not be able to get a complete set. If the mint increases the mintage for the balance of the 2015 presidential coin and chronicles it will only add insult to injury.

I for one have two complete sets of presidentisl pf 70's and will keep all of my 2015 Truman RP. I really feel that investing in this coin would be smart.

Rumor is that the balance of the coin and chronicles will have their mintages increased. All my rules for collecting indicate that this 2015 Truman Reverse proof will be the coin of the century.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Stands a good chance at being coin of the year.

Coin of the century? I would have to vote for the 2009 UHR or the 2008 Fractional Buffalos or the 2006 Reverse Proof $50 Gold Eagle.

tmoneyeagles and LJRambo111 like this.
  4. LJRambo111

I have them all. but dollar for dollar the truman coin wil probaly end up being more than 10 times the money I spent for investing in my purchase. The price is increasing. I do feel the same excitement as I did when I read the fractional buffalos would be a 1 time thing in Coin World.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this hoopla will die down when people realize this will be a common thing. Just think... they are making another coin same mintage in one month. What makes this one better than that?

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

To add a bit of more gloom, what's to prevent the mint from producing a four coin reverse proof set of presidentials later this year?

gronnh20 and swamp yankee like this.
  7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Not this P-Mint Truman - their ads say only in this set and this set is 17k. Look back through the threads on this topic for the actual ads posted. If the mint were to undermine the secondary market on the Truman set, as well as other limited products, eventually they would kill the market for their products. True, they skirted around their language for the 2012-s proof ASE, but look at the uproar that created.

8. green18

Still, they could possibly do it. The fine print on the product offering reads 'Product limit........17,000........mintage limit........none'.

9. statequarterguy

Yeah, but check their other press releases posted in these threads, they closed the door on selling more Truman's. True, they left the door open for the 2012-s proof ASE, but after the uproar over issuing more, the wording in the ads and press releases have closed the door for other sets. True also, they could have said mintage limit 17k, but they did say that in their press releases.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  10. statequarterguy

Here's the press release. I don't see an open door.

2015 Coin and Chronicles Set – Harry S. Truman Available on June 30
    WASHINGTON - The United States Mint will open sales for the 2015 Coin and Chronicles Set - Harry S. Truman (product code AX1) starting on June 30 at noon Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
    The set contains the following:
    • One 2015 Harry S. Truman Presidential $1 Reverse Proof Coin--available in this set only
    • One 1.598" Harry S. Truman Presidential .999 silver medal
    • One 1973 U.S. eight cent Harry S. Truman postage stamp
    The coin, medal, and stamp are displayed in a rich deep red folder covered in a soft-touch material with a handsome textured look that is very gift-worthy.
    The Truman Presidential $1 Reverse Proof Coin will be minted at the United States Mint at Philadelphia and will bear the "P" mint mark. The silver medal will also be produced at the Philadelphia facility but will have no mint mark.
    Production of this set is limited to 17,000 units. Orders will be limited to five units per household. The bureau will re-evaluate the order limit over the period this set is available for sale.
    The 2015 Coin and Chronicles Set - Harry S. Truman is priced at $57.95. Orders will be accepted at http://catalog.usmint.gov and at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468), while hearing- and speech-impaired customers with TTY equipment may order at 1-888-321-MINT. Please visit the United States Mint website for information on our shipping options: catalog.usmint.gov/customer-service/shipping.html. Additional 2015 Coin and Chronicles Sets honoring Presidents Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, and Lyndon B. Johnson will be available later in the year.

green18 likes this.
  11. statequarterguy

Here's a subsequent statement from the mint.

Adam Stump, the U.S. Mint's deputy director for the Office of Corpprate Communications, released the following statement at 1:25 EDT July 1 concerning the sales of the special Truman set:
    "Based on our sales forecast, which took into account the popularity of reverse proof coins and the demand for the two previously issued Coin and Chronicles Sets, the Mint established an overall production limit of 17,000 units for the 2015 Coin and Chronicles Set – Harry S. Truman (product code: AX1). The demand for the 2013 Coin and Chronicles Set – Theodore Roosevelt was 15,141 units. The 2014 Coin and Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt, which went on sale December 22, 2014, with a product limit of 20,000 units – had sold only 13,255 units as of June 29, 2015.
    "To ensure fair and equitable access, a household order limit of five sets was established for the 2015 Coin and Chronicles Set – Harry S. Truman. The product went on sale at noon Eastern Time June 30, 2015. By 12:15 p.m., available inventory had been depleted, and the product’s availability on the website changed to “currently unavailable,” with the “Remind Me” button and message activated. (i.e., We are currently out of this item, but more may be available later. Provide your email using the REMIND ME button, and we will let you know when we are taking orders again.)
    "A total of 16,780 sets were sold in approximately 15 minutes. All accepted orders will be processed and fulfilled on a first-in, first-served basis according to existing United States Mint policies. The product inventory is at the fulfillment center for immediate shipment to customers. No additional inventory will be produced. Product shipments, returns and exchanges will be monitored daily over the next few weeks."

green18 likes this.
  12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

If they did a full reverse proof set sometime later this year, the coins will certainly not have the same mint mark as the one in this Coin & Chronicles set so they would be different.

Way too early to call this Truman reverse proof "coin of the year" as there are a few more reverse proof dollars coming in the next few months. The Kennedy reverse proof will likely have more demand than this Truman coin, even with the higher mintage of 25,000 coins.

But you also have the 2015-P & 2015-W dimes from the March of Dime special set which have a claim to being possible "coin of the year." And of course the 2015 High Relief Gold coming out in a couple weeks w/ a mintage limit of 50,000 could be a good candidate as well.

green18 likes this.
  13. green18

OK, you guys win........:)

14. statequarterguy

I don't know, 50k for an expensive one oz gold coin sounds like a high mintage.

15. statequarterguy

I thought you'd continue the debate, as yeah, the mint could do anything. I just think they put a little too much in writing this time, which should close the door to anymore Truman's.

16. green18

You guys made your point. Besides, how could I refute all of that documentation? :)

17. statequarterguy

WOW, looks like prices are increasing and ads are decreasing on eBay. A box of 5 just sold for $850 and others before it sold in the $800 range.

LJRambo111 likes this.
  18. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Wow! Kinda makes me regret selling 3 boxes for $650 each. I have one more box... with possibly another one on the way. When should I sell.... or should I keep?? hmmmm

19. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

All three are coin of the year ! Eisenhower & Johnson reverse proofs have product limits of 17,000 sets .

:happy: :happy: :happy:

20. statequarterguy

So, you don't think the mint will raise those mintages?

21. LJRambo111

Th
    I would have graded them, 70's sell for big money. I sent 5 sets in. I did the same for the special anniversarys last year for the special P and D Kennedy's and ended up with a set of 69's keep them and grade them, BTW the kennedy's I bought were a 5 set box from EBAY. Thank You flipper.

Draft saved Draft deleted