Ironing Paper Money?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by americanpatriot, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever heard of ironing paper money to remove the wrinkles? If so,

(1) Does it work?
    (2) Will it cause damage?
    (3) If it will cause damage, how much?

I have an old error note that is pretty wrinkled. I will probably never sell it, but would like for it to look a little better in my collection if at all possible.

Thanks for any help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Don't do it, you will more than likely decrease the value of the note by doing so, if you have no intentions of selling, then by all means go ahead, but do some research on it, test it out on a couple of commen 1.00 bills or something and see how it works so you do not ruin your note, as I said, if you don't intend on selling anytime whatsoever, and take in mind this includes who inherits this note once you are gone, that the value will decrease.

4. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

You could also damage the note beyond recognition or burn down your house trying to iron it **

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I have had some real good experience with ironing money I tell you what! What you do is you get to know your iron. Try it on some common one dollar bills as stated above and the key is knowing what temperature to maintain. With the iron I've used I keep it a couple notches below the steam level. I even tried with the highest temperature possible and all I noticed was some light browning. It wont do what you think and leave some giant iron print burn at all. Again the key is just keeping a low temperature or if you want put it in a book with lots of weight on it.

George McClellan likes this.
  6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

If your going to keep it or spend it--do it...if its a keeper..don't!!

Speedy

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

See the thing is that you can turn a severely folded note that folds up when you lay it down into a nice and smooth note! It looks like a whole new note again when you do it.

8. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

I think part of what needs to be said isn't... Ironing a note is the same exact thing as cleaning a coin, if it's spotted, hardly anybody will touch it, unless they get an offer they can't refuse, if it's a one of a kind note, and you iron it, your tuning a one of a kind note into a doctored one of a kind note, depending on the error, you may as well make it distorted by ironing the note, speculation will turn into paranoia, " well if the note was ironed (presuming they see that something is wrong with it, which they will ) , it might be possible that the cause of the error on the note was actually done accidentally or on purpous, thus making it an altered note..... I think i'll have to pass " .

9. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Nonono they don't look like how you say. They look alot worse before treatment. When you iron them they are nice and flat and wont bend back up at all when you lay them down. They look rejuvenated and twice as better as before. If you want I can scan an ironed 1985 $10 note I found.

10. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Basically what i'm saying, even if you don't intend on selling it, and keeping it your whole life..... eventually it will end up in the hands of a new collector, the originality of the note will be lost forever due to something that a previous collector decided to do. Which is what a lot now day will speak of, wishing that the previous generation of collectors, wouldn't have cleaned their coins on a regular basis.

11. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

I didn't say anything about how they looked, they look altered, someones done a proccess to them that is not natural.

12. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

To think of how many uninformed collectors are doing this type of thing to a collection makes me sick, leave the item alone, if you don't like the folds, give it to someone who will appreciate originality and buy you another one that has been doctored, you will kill 2 birds with one stone, you help preserve the item, but you still get what you wanted :)

13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Omgosh the note does not look altered at all sir! They look very nice. No chemicals are being used at all. BTW what do you think of these guys carving 80+ year old coins?

14. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

They aren't carving error coins are they?

15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

No but they are carving nice condition Barber halves and even 100 year old gold pieces.

16. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

lol who is doing that? What do you think is " nice " condition ? Are the contributing to the collector community, or are they simply doing it because they don't know what they are doing? Theres a differance between doing something that produces a better outcome than choice A , than there is when doing something that produces a bad outcome versus choice A. Do you think that their carvings are going to be passed off as authentic original coins? No.... Do you think that eventually the ironed notes will be passed off as authentic and original ? Yes..... ( to a collector who is uninformed )

17. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

People come on here bragging about their works of art. They are very nice carvings and designs yes but I find it to be utterly numismatically irresponsible. They are permanently changing the originality of the coins for all eternity so I'm curious as to what you think of that. Ironing notes is not a bad idea if you know how to do it and if it will improve the condition greatly. I will now go get the old ten dollar bill and show you what it now looks like.

18. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

You just stated my reasoning....And made my point loud and clear....

19. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Oooo so you agree with me on them carving these very old coins! I personally find it to be disgusting what they are doing with very high grade coins.

20. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

And yes, i've seen ironed notes, the folds and crinkles are still there, but, the note is flat, it almost gives it a " bake your own money " kind of feel to it, if you know what I mean... Just add flour, water, 2 eggs and poof, you have a nicely baked 1.00 bill that looks like a cookie lol

21. Spider

Spider ~

penny case YOU R SO WRONG ITS NOT FUNNY DUDE!!!!!!its 3 eggs not 2

Draft saved Draft deleted