Iron Medal WW1 with rust problem

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by NormW, Jan 24, 2015.

1. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Image197.jpg Image198.jpg

I found this medal today at the Wilmington, Delaware Coin Club show. The medal was given to German women who turned in gold jewelry for the war effort(1916). The obverse states " Gold I give for weapons, Iron I accept for honor".

The problem at hand is rust. I have coated and rubbed it with wd-40 so far. Any other ideas or thoughts?

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Do not rub it anymore!!!!!!
    Spray it very heavy with WD 40 let it stay on it til rust is gone. It may take a few days keep adding WD 40 don't let it dry til rust is gone. Then dip it in acetone.

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Unfortunately rust will continue to spread no matter what you do. The only ways or removing the rust will be very destructive of the medal. I'm not really recommending this, but you may need to whizz it then wax it to stop the rust completely.

5. NormW

I have heard the "whizz it" expression, but what exactly is it? I did also think about wax to halt further corrosion.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Whizzing is essentially using a fine wire wheel on a coin. Consider the method a last resort if at all.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Toothpaste may do less harm try that??

8. NormW

I like the toothpaste idea. A very mild abrasive. This is not a valuable medal. I just want to keep it legible and avoid further corrosion. I have it soaking in wd-40 right now. In a few days I will reevaluate it. Thanks

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Stop at this stage, WD-40 is enough. No rubbing, no wax (yet) and no toothpaste (it's abrasive and can scratch the surfaces)...

I suggest you register with Collectors Society forum and post the medal image and questions about if they can help you stop the rust in the Ask NCS board to get an experts opinions, but know that they take a while to get back to questions and may require you to send the piece in for review before offering advice whether they can do anything for you.

NCS' website

Hommer and jello like this.
  10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Try electrolysis on it.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

@NormW

Let an expert, try electrolysis on it.

Do you even happen to have such a device laying around. :wacky:

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I would go with the WD-40 approach! Works like a charm!

13. NormW

Well, I just checked the medal after 5 days, soaking in W-D40 and I do not see much difference. Any comments?

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Acetone it get petrol oil off.
    then try olive oil for a week.
    Or
    Linseed oil for a week

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Did you contact NCS via Collectors Society and pose a question to them, as advised earlier?

17. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Here's the MSDS sheet for Oxalic acid. It's stronger than acetic acid and can cause serious skin irritation if not handled properly and allowed to make prolonged contact with your skin. It's a kind of reducing agent.

I still suggest the OP contact a professional for best results. Don't fool around with chemicals and home brew methods if you don't know what you're doing.

19. LostDutchman

I agree completely... I guess the point of my question mark was lost on everyone but myself.

20. krispy

krispy krispy

Well I figured it may have been in jest/disbelief coming from someone like you who has experimented with some pretty harsh chemicals. I assume oxalic acid would simply be too corrosive to the medal itself to do it any good. :D

21. LostDutchman

I've had luck with it in low concentrations removing corrosion and rust. Mostly on military items which are usually steel.

krispy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted