iPhone 11 camera for coins?!?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Hunting Rare

Hunting Rare Active Member

Just picked up my new iPhone 11 yesterday, and it has the best camera I've ever seen on any phone!!! So I put it up to the test of taking pictures of my most valuable coin and here's what it did.....

(These pictures are from an iPhone 11, no macro lens attached, taken by hand, through a slab!!!!!)

UNBELIEVABLE! IMG_5088.PNG IMG_E5022.JPG IMG_E5121.JPG

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Mine are taken with a Google Pixel 3a. Never been happier with my coin photos.

Just gotta take the time to re-shoot several others, which would be awhile.

True these are not macro, but for a cell phone camera? I am happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul M., tommyc03, iPen and 2 others like this.
  4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Better than most peoples "real camera" photos! Well done.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Paul M. and Hunting Rare like this.
  5. Hunting Rare

Thanks, my friend! I couldn't believe it. Honestly, better than my usb microscope!!!

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll stick with my "real camera" Canon dSLR. The miniature sensor size used in phones and excessive digital enhancement of the images make the results harsh to my eye. These show a much reduced overall view and a cropped from the same file but not reduced section. The unreduced files make good 20x30" prints but who wants prints of coins that big?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you use extension tubes, you can get close for uncropped small coin details with a real camera, too, but CT won't accept files that large so it is hard to demonstrate here. This is reduced some to fit here. To get good sharpness at this size, it would be best to use image stacking.
    macro3524.jpg
    rx7135fd3164.jpg

I am fond of my phone for calls and texts but only use the included camera when I am somewhere where I can't take a "real camera".

roygpa, Paddy54, Paul M. and 6 others like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Those photos look terrible. Phone home!

Chris

8. cpm9ball

For what that phone might have cost, you could have gotten a nice trinocular microscope with optical zoom & camera attachment to boot.

Chris

Paul M. and VistaCruiser69 like this.
  9. Hunting Rare

I can't wait to buy a nice expensive high end coin microscope someday in the future.....but for a cell phone and taken through a slab.....to capture a DDR like that is pretty impressive in my opinion. :)

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm guessing the microscope gets much poorer cell coverage. You probably can't get as many games for it, either.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

To the OP: those photos do show some fine detail, but they're also kind of blurry, probably because it's hard to hold the phone still enough for this kind of photography. What happens if you put the phone on top of a stack of books, with its camera(s) hanging over the edge, and take photos that way? You may be very pleased with the difference...

12. cpm9ball

That's why I said "Phone home!" in my earliest post.....ala E.T.!

Chris

13. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Sorry, I was actually talking about @Mat pics. Yours need a tripod to hold the phone steady and parallel to the coin surface. They are cheap too. With some practice yours will be dang good too!

Paul M. and Hunting Rare like this.
  14. Hunting Rare

Making progress in the right direction!

15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I do! I'd love to make a few prints of my coins and hang them up in my office. Maybe I'd have a few on rotation and switch them up occasionally.

Hunting Rare likes this.
  16. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the iphone 15 to drop another 2k into first. It'll have to be at least 4 times better than the 11 by then right?

Paul M. likes this.
  17. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I can't tell if trolling :(

Paul M. likes this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I really hope you're joking, but I can't tell.

Those pictures are downright awful.

19. Hunting Rare

For a cell phone camera, and through a slab, I thought the detail was extremely impressive.....

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I took this with my Samsun S7.
    I don't like the phone but it takes great photos. 1805 DP 1 2xa-.jpg 1805 DP 1 x-.jpg 1805 DP 1 x--horz.jpg

TyCobb likes this.
  21. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

It certainly does. Phones have come a long way. I just refuse to keep one on me as I don't appreciate being tracked and everything I do being monitored and/or stored. I definitely don't see the need to continuously upgrade like so many in the younger generations seem to fell the need to do. Plus I can't see the damn tiny screens.

dwhiz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted