Iowa quarter silver proof question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dollar, Feb 22, 2017.

1. dollar

dollar Junior Member

the quarter is from my 2004 silver quarter proof set, so I was curious as to what caused these damages from the mint...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

From time to time, errors on proof coins do get overlooked. Here are a couple that I found on my 2005-S KS SQ's from the Silver Proof Sets.

2005-S KS Silver SQ.JPG

2005-S KS Silver SQ FS-901.JPG

2005-S_PF_KS_SQ_OBV_LAMINATION_ERROR.jpg

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In the OP I think the second image make be the result of a die dent, but the first image looks like it could be a doubled die.

5. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Thank you for your post... I see you had it graded. In your opinion, do you think I should have this 2003 proof quarter graded also? I don't know if it is a die gouge or a lamination peel, but it is from a proof set and should grade high. (Ignore all the marks and garbage around... it's the plastic).

Attached Files:

6. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Thank you for your response. I will take it to a dealer to have it checked out.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No, do not submit it for grading! You'll pay more for the grading fees, shipping and insurance than it is worth. The only reason I posted the slabbed coin was to illustrate how errors can slip by Mint employees even when they are processed by hand. The lamination error(?) that I posted below it, remains in the OGP to this day.

The Mint error that I submitted to NGC was based on special circumstances. It was originally classified as a Mint error in 2005, but it was changed to a variety in 2012. Errors are not identified in the NGC Census but varieties are. When I resubmitted it to NGC for the attribution, FS-901 Die Dent, the grade, PF70UCAM, made it a Top Pop. It's the only one of the highest grade possible.

Less than two months later, a collector from California contacted me and bought it for $1,000.

Chris

SchwaVB57 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted