Ionian Islands

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Crito, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Crito

Crito New Member

Actually Ionian State and history in Krause is wrong too, but this is my favorite coin, a large 2 Oboli copper. Thought it might be a good way to say hi :D I'm new around here :wink:

[​IMG]

PCGS undergraded it AU55 :roll:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Very nice coin. This one I've never seen. 1819, correct? I always find it difficult to get good images of copper coins. Yours is pretty good.

4. Crito

Crito New Member

Yep the big 1819 copper; since I've been on eBay, never seen one (2 Oboli) in any condition come up for sale. The Obol seems much more common. Had a heck of a time imaging the coin, toning is dark and under fluorescent light looks an even chocolate brown, believe it or not.

5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I don't recall having seen an Obol ever either.

6. Crito

Crito New Member

The nicest Obol I saw on eBay was an AU+ that had some blue corrosion in the fields, went for $150 anyways. There's a lower grade one for sale right now, currently at $10.50, here's their auction pic

[​IMG]

there are subtle differences in design between the different sized coppers, particularly in the face of lion. the original design is Venetian (winged lion with halo and quiver) with some tweaking by the British (stance, curly tail).

7. Hedderick

Hedderick New Member

I normally go for the moderns, but have to say this is a really interesting coin, thanks for posting about it.

8. Crito

Crito New Member

Since I'm showing off, I just won the smallest of these coppers on eBay for $35 :D Hopefully it won't look white in person, bad color in pic probably kept the bidding low... but I already knew the seller (Jeff Zarit), and he's a good guy, so went for it :wink:

[​IMG]

9. ColinCMR

ColinCMR New Member

wow nice coin!
    i bet the mintages are low too

10. Crito

Crito New Member

this date is 10 TIMES rarer than earlier dates (mintage figures weren't retained on a date-by-date basis). But very few were collected and preserved in the prior century, so finding them in near-mint state is actually quite difficult.

edited to add: I'm a net buyer of this material, not a net seller (different story with modern US). So if anyone has AU-MS examples for sale, feel free to email me for an offer (please include pic).

Regards,
    Crito
    "NO BS (bullshiat) guarantee" on all transactions. If it's not EXACTLY as described, all your money back including shipping charges.

11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

The Greeks have a word for it.

Pretty coins! I looked them up in Krause. I was totally unaware of the series. I see now, of course, that the catalog does not do them justice. Your scans are compelling. I will definitely keep an eye out for something like this at an ANA convention when I go next.

Michael

12. Crito

Crito New Member

Thanks Marotta, very undervalued series, though some mintages are rather high. The coins circulated heavily, making AU/BU examples tough to find. Also, the salt air on the islands corroded most of these coppers, so finding circulated examples without porosity isn't particulary easy either. If you can pick up a problem-free specimen at Krause prices, it's a bargain IMHO. Now if Zarit would just send my #$%& coin, I'd be a happy man. Slow shipper, I guess :( sure did charge my card quick, though.

13. Crito

Crito New Member

14. Crito

Crito New Member

15. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The most unusual denomination in the Ionian Islands
    coins is the silver 30 Lepta.I have one dated 1857.
    The Ionian Islands coins of 1819-62 are sought after by British Commonwealth coin collectors such as myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted