Inverted S?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NumismaticGary, Aug 10, 2021.

1. NumismaticGary

NumismaticGary Active Member

Is it just me or does this mint mark look like it’s flipped? The top is thicker than the bottom, only looks right with the coin flipped over.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Looks normal to me.

4. NumismaticGary

I’ll try to post a better pic when I get out of work. It’s much more noticeable in person.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Show the whole reverse while you're at it. It's Obverse I and probably Reverse II, but if it's Rev III, the I/III combination is fairly scarce.

NumismaticGary likes this.
  6. NumismaticGary

Attached Files:

7. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Yup, I/II, ~70% of 1900-S are, most of the rest are II/III, but worth a look. I don't think the S is inverted.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I don't believe it is inverted, look at Cherrypicker's Guide, the Barber half dollar, 1909 S.
    There is a clear picture of the inverted MM

9. NumismaticGary

Neat! I was unaware there were different varieties for this year. Thanks for the info and checking for me as well :)

10. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Many collectors aren't aware of these. There were two reverse designs in 1892, because the original issue didn't stack properly, and Barber rushed to correct that. NGC designates those two. Then in 1900 the reverse design changed again, so across all three mints there are Rev II and Rev III. These are distinguished by the wingtips on Rev III extending beyond the E's.

The obverse also changed in 1900, adding cartilage to the inner ear and making leaf tips slightly more pointed.

I became vaguely aware of these changes a few years ago, and then became aware that a lot of the documentation on the 1900 combinations is inaccurate regarding the die pairings. 1/2, 1/3, 2/2, and 2/3 exist for all three mints, but places like NGC often say things like "The majority of 1900-S quarters have the 1/2 hub pairing, but this issue is also known paired 2/3", when in fact 2/2 and 1/3 also exist in very small proportions.

To complicate matters even further, I was looking into a recent BCCS (Barber Coin Collectors Society) article, and discovered that there is a third obverse type! I am working on an article detailing this, and searched through about 400-500 coins online documenting the proportions of the various combinations. That's where I got the 70% figure for 1900-S being I/II.

Not many collectors care enough about any of this to assign a premium, but it's fun.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks normal to me.

12. NumismaticGary

Now I'm gonna have to look through my entire collection and see if I have any of the varieties. I don't particularly hunt for them, but if I have them and know about them I make sure to write that on the flip. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted