Inverted or not

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Contrarian, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

Hello fellow coin lovers,

I recently rediscovered some uncirculated rolls of Jefferson nickels I had purchased back in the early 1980s and one of my discoveries was some 1941 S nickels which I believe have an inverted mintmark (FS-503). I sent seven of them to PCGS and they agreed with me. However I sent one to NGC and they refused to attribute this variety, no doubt because it was debunked by Coneca and subsequently removed from the CherryPicker's Guide.

Yet the nickel I submitted was not struck from the same die as the one that was debunked, which has an extremely low mintmark that is almost sitting on the steps of Monticello. The mintmarks on my coins are considerably higher up, with the bottom of the S in line with the window sill. Of the many examples of the FS-503 variety that can be seen on PCGS's website only two have "high" mintmarks like mine.

To me, the mintmarks on my nickels are clearly upside down. Not only is the top of the S much heavier than the bottom, the "upper" serif has the more tapered shape that is systematically seen on the lower serifs of small S mintmarks on Jefferson nickels, while the "lower" serif has the bud-like shape of the upper serif. This difference in shape cannot be explained by any "tilting" of the mintmark punch.

What do you people think?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted