Introductions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i'm just wowed by that Jean_Baptist dudes painting!..but mine is an original by TIF..^^

4. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to Cointalk!
    All I know is the bottom-right coin is a Chinese cash coin. I don't collect ancient coins. Yours look really neat though!

5. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Great to see you here, Finn235. We share many interests. Do introduce some coins one at a time - please.

6. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Welcome, mate! Cool pic!! I see three celt-coins: a gaulish potin, a british iceni and a celtiberian bolskan. Good boy... :)

7. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

For those of you who don't know Steve/Finn, and those of you who do, prepare yourselves for some extremely informative and fun posts, including many focused on non-Western ancient cultures. Steve's breadth of knowledge is remarkable, particularly given the relatively short time he's been collecting ancients. He is also a busy coin flipper, and has a real knack (it's amazing, actually - maybe some sort of sixth sense) for coming across rarities in group lots. I always enjoy his contributions, particularly about those types of gems. I'll add that his work dealing with the evolution of Gadhaiya iconography from its Sasanian prototypes is truly impressive, easily among my all time favorite posts on any forum. I truly hope he publishes that work in the future.

Yeah, this is a nice addition to CT's ancients community.

Finn235, Pellinore, TIF and 2 others like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Lovely coins and am excited to hear more about non-Western cultures!

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since you included one and only one cash, it might be fair to ask if that is a minor, minor interest or if there was some particular reason that a 10 cash Chong Ning zhong bao was included? It happens that you started posting just as I was failing to make sense of the cash I have had for years and have two of these. A few days ago I might have asked help figuring out which minor variations I had by Hartill numbers but I have pretty well established that I am not capable of understanding these and will not be pursuing them seriously.
    ch16.407f.jpg ch16.407n.jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Talk about knowing how to show up to a party! Excellent coins!! And excellent first post!!! I've been getting down with Sassanian coins over the last bit meself. Welcome to coin talk's ancients:joyful:

downloadfile.gif

chrsmat71 likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Welcome @Finn235 ! Man, that is a killer group of coins. Like about 1500 years of cool coin diversity!

@Ed Snible I'm using that for my new avatar!

Ed Snible likes this.
  12. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Welcome you have some great coins I really like the large one in the top left corner

13. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Welcome you have some great coins I really like the large one in the top left corner

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some wonderful coins

15. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I do need a bit of advice. I purchased a lot of 450 cash coins at the coin club for $10.00. I have purchased many groups like this over the years and have educated myself on mints etc. They are batched in groups of 25 each and secured with sinew "aka" strings of gut or tendon.

My question is this: Should I cut the tie's so to speak to make searching easier for me or leave them alone and sell as is? I suppose if I cut the ties to secure items I didn’t have, I could sell the loose ones in batches of 20 or so.

I did find a good one I didn’t have of Emp Ren Zong (1796-1820), H. 22.495/7 on pg 320. It has a largeish dot on the reverse between the Boo and Tong which I don’t have. It has been my experience that those with dots or finger nails are scarce.

Any sage advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

16. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Welcome, you have found a good place to share your collecting progress.

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree with the request for more on these. I found interest in the series in 2011 because did obtain Deyell (sent from India by slow, slow boat) and lost interest when I could find so little else that made sense to me. I posted my page then and did no more with them.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/gadpaisa.html

18. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group obsession. Coins are my drug of choice.

Attached Files:

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Drugs.jpg

Ryro likes this.
  20. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I suppose I could put up what I have, which currently is just the very earliest coins of the Gadhaiya track. Fair warning - nobody has cracked the code, and nobody probably ever will. My focus has been on closing the gaps between the various types of early Gadhaiya and the wonderfully degenerate type we all know and love. I have made a lot of progress, but there is still a long way to go...

Draft saved Draft deleted