Introduction to World Gold Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bman33, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

That is available on CD-Rom so if you take your laptop to shows. Also the NGC Coin app is a good reference.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Krause book, Gold coinage from 1600- was released in 2009. i would guess a newer/ updated edition will come out soon. Prices are really obsolete now. The 2009 edition is huge, 1440 pages/ 4263701321_5a1da8dca2_m.jpg 35000 photos/ list all mints/ dates/restrikes.....not expensive.
    John

Bman33 likes this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

There is also the Krause Modern World Gold Coin, which covered 1800-present.

panzerman likes this.
  5. panzerman

Thanks for pointing that out:shame:

PS: I would love it, if they published a "new" 1200-1599AD edition, same format as 1600-2009 ed.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Well, I am going to coin club tonight and tonight's topic will be Gold Coins of Napoleon. Will probably be some of those coins in to buy tonight too. Any suggestions or favorites you can think of for me to look for?

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I thought you just posted that you were giving up PMs for comic books.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Silver only

9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Buy the rooster.

10. ManfredNam

ManfredNam Non-functioning

11. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

I mainly collect GB gold sovereigns, guineas but also have some Australian, Canadian, French, Swiss, Russian, Islamic and other odds and ends amongst my AV coins.

As a first Napoleon Bonaparte coin I would suggest an 1815 '100 days' 20 Francs coin if you can find a decent one, simply because it is intriguing and was struck during his brief second reign.

His 40 Francs gold coinage is a bit pricey as are some 20 Francs from the exclusive and elusive provincial mints so do check the mintmarks. Napoleon III also is gaining in popularity. Most old Russian gold is very expensive in any decent grade.

I think it is better to buy 1 scarce/rare date than 3 common gold coins which will always just be bullion+ a little premium. Sovereigns have a long way to go IMO and some collectors are already beginning to see the advantage of buying up the key dates struck in London, Canada, Australia and South Africa and mohurs from British India. Some modern sovereigns (specially proof) are also commanding decent premiums (1989, 1993, 2002, 2012, 2017 Pistrucci etc.). Guineas are also a safe way to go but most of the good stuff available is either AU or MS63 maximum. Very difficult to find anything in higher grades and if you do, the prices can be very high.

Most Ducats and Netherlands Gulden and Ducats also prove popular among collectors and are worth looking at.

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

For some reason (being french is one of them ;) ) I have a few french 20 francs : they're easy and fun to collect. All of them are raw and not UNC enough that you couldn't handle them (with care of course) ...

[​IMG]
    Bonaparte I° Consul - 20 francs or An 12 A

[​IMG]
    Louis XVIII (1814-1824) - 20 francs or 1820 A

[​IMG]
    2° republique - 20 francs or 1851 A

[​IMG]
    2° republique - 20 francs or 1852 A

[​IMG]
    2° Empire - 20 francs or 1856 A

[​IMG]
    2° Empire - 20 francs or 1865 A

[​IMG]
    3° republique - 20 francs or 1877 A

[​IMG]
    3° republique - 20 francs or 1909

Q

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Back in 2014, I bought this one raw, for a modest premium over melt, and sent it off to PCGS. I was happy with the grade. It didn't last long in my Eclectic Box collection (I ended up flipping it when I needed funds for something else), but it was a sweet coin for near-bullion money (excluding what I spent slabbing it).

So many of those Latin Monetary Union 20-franc equivalents are an appealing way to buy gold at generic (near-bullion) prices and still get a little more historical appeal than you would with a modern bullion coin. (Though modern bullion coins make up for their relative lack of history by having beautiful designs and being available in proof format, etc. - so it's all good.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    panzerman and furryfrog02 like this.
  14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

You're thinking of the Austrian ducat (Franz Joseph). They were struck through 1914, and restrikes used the date 1915 effectively as a restrike mark.

15. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

1915 Restrikes. This one is a 4 Ducat PR67 DCAM. A fairly large coin in size and one that I like every time I look at it

1915 Austria 4 Ducats PR67DCAM Obv.jpg

1915 Austria 4 Ducats PR67DCAM Rev.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I have one of those, ungraded, and it is one of my favorite gold coins. But it is not that big. It may have a large diameter but it is very thin and weighs less than half an ounce.

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I totally agree.

I bought one of those for $160-something in the late 1990s, when bullion was cheap. Though I knew it was a restrike, I couldn't keep from staring at it and admiring it. It was such a visually stunning coin. Like you say, pretty big- quite a large diameter considering the bullion content. They did this by making them relatively thin. Not like medieval hammered coin thin, but thin for a 20th century gold coin.

I think the 4-ducat restrikes are the ideal jewelry coin for noncollectors, too. I wouldn't be surprised if some gangsta rappers have one in a big bezel for "bling" purposes. I mean, they really pack a lot of visual bang for the buck and bullion content, relatively speaking. And the prooflike mirrors and contrast (not to mention the design) totally compensate for the fact that they're a restrike issue.

I might buy another one day. Too bad I won't be able to get that 1990s price, though, huh.

18. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Personally, I would recommend the Italy 1911 50 Lire. Superb design and often available for not too much over the melt value.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. panzerman

Beautifull coins! I personally think the Austro-Hungarian/ Holy Roman Empire coinage are the most magnificent designed, only the Transylvanian are nicer....
    The 1915 Franz Josef I AV 4 Dukaten was my first ever coin, got it as a Christmas present on my 12th birthday:)
    Here is a 1848-A Ferdinand V AV 4 Dukaten FDC
    Won it from Spink Auction for bargain price of $5250US
    These go for 12/15K Euros in European Auctions:inpain: f5d2ab03ca76e995b53be1c4294754c4 (1).jpg

ManfredNam and Jaelus like this.
  20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

That is quite some present for a 12 year old!

panzerman likes this.
  21. panzerman

I agree!
    But we lived on a poultry farm, and I was very busy helping with the daily chores. Plus my Dad is an avid coin collector, so this was his way of getting me hooked on coin collecting:) Plus gave me a good work ethic, so that I now run a lawn maintenance outfit by myself, no employees/ headaches/ big expenses/ breakdowns of equipment....crappy weather is my only obstacle:inpain: today its raining cats and dogs!

Draft saved Draft deleted