Introduction to World Gold Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bman33, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have a 20 franc French rooster, really nice design.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Should I be handling my gold coins just like I would silver ones? Gloves and all?

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Most of them will have been handled hundred of times already so I would not worry about it.

panzerman likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I ONLY handle them with special coin gloves. This is when I transfer them into SAFLIPS from auction flips. Best NEVER to handle gold coins, look at them inside the protective saflip, slab holder.
    John

6. panzerman

My last post was mostly for PROOF/ MS coins. However, even with EF(improper handling) will result in it being VF. Gold is very soft, esp. the Dukaten coinage .986 gold.

7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, my Swiss 20 Franc is a 1935 which is a restrike? My 2.5 Peso is a 1945 restrike I believe. I’d like to get some non restrike coins.

8. panzerman

The 1935 wasstruck in45/46/47. I recently go.ta.MS-66 1905-B for 340 euros. Always way better to buy originals (not restrikes). Higher quality coins appreciate more/ nicer to look at:happy: Some "restrikes" like Russian novedels are collectible and very rare. Swiss Cantons/ Oberwalden struck 80 examples of a older 1783 Dukat. Today both are rare and desirable, I got a FDC 1840 ex. from Sincona Auction....nice coin.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

The last few posts seem to have an implicit assumption that Bman is buying top value coins (MS/PF etc.) I was assuming he was just buying for the bullion. So which is it? The answers to all your questions very much depend on the purpose of the purchase. I personally only buy gold for its bullion value unless it is German gold, which then becomes part of my collection instead of my stash.

panzerman and Bman33 like this.
  10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I am doing both. Stacking these coins as bullion pretty much. If there is one I really like I will pay the extra premiums but not a terribly high amount. I would like all of them, even the ones for stacking to be AU at least.

panzerman likes this.
  11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You can probably find most of the ones mention in XF but AU may be harder without a premium. All depends on what you choose.

panzerman likes this.
  12. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

If you are new and on a limited budget, be advised that the real sweet spot for world gold coins exists right around AU55. The coins sell for a small premium above melt but can be unbelievably scarce. Case in point, this coin from Monaco. Mintage of 15,000 making it lower than all but 3 of the Carson City Double-Eagle mintages from the same era, but selling for about 15% (or less) above the gold in the coin. And it still has loads of luster in the legends and fields.

mon1886a.jpg mon1886b.jpg

13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Apmex has a nicer selection and better pricing than Provident and JM Bullion.

serafino likes this.
  14. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I love the early Australian sovereigns and half sovereigns.
    IMG_0474.JPG

semibovinian likes this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Any of you guys have a Napoleon 40 Franc? Heard those were a solid World Gold.

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

If you like it for bullion then go for it. Personally, if I want bullion I buy AGEs and if I want sovereigns I buy old ones.

18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I just bought an AGE 1 ouncer now I am craving a Sovereign. I wanted one with no wear.

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

And no history.

20. panzerman

Yes, I have one in Ms-65. They were .900 gold. THE ONLY .999 gold coinage was in period 1268-1450.

21. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

Swiss coins dated 1947 and 1949 are restrikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted