Introduction to Byzantine coins (491-1453)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Fantastic new site, Warren! Hopefully it helps create some new Byzantine enthusiasts. :)

Here's my most spectacular recent acquisition, a 1/2 (or, I think, possibly 1/3) miliaresion of Leo III (0.73g and 16mm):

01682q00.jpg

As far as I can tell it is only the third known example. I'm not certain I'll keep it as it's a rather expensive way to fill the Leo III silver reform slot... :oops:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Educational web page!

Here's one, but I'm not sure about the attribution.

Martina Follis.jpg
    Heraclius, with Martina and Heraclius Constantine. 610-641.
    Byzantine Æ Follis, 5.23 g, 24.3 mm, 7 h.
    Nicomedia mint.
    Obv: Heraclius center, Heraclius Constantine r., Empress Martina l., all standing facing.
    Rev: Large M; to left, monogram; above, ANNO & cross; to right, regnal year XS (16); beneath, officina no. B; in ex., NIKO.
    Refs: Berk 560; Dumbarton Oaks 165v (unlisted officina); Sear 836.

Martina DOC listing.JPG

4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

1972 is a long time hopefully I will be able to collect that long.
    b275.jpg
    Anastasius
    491 to 498 AD
    Mint: Constantinople
    AE Nummus
    Obvs: Diademed bust right.
    Revs: Monogram of Anastasius.
    8mm, 0.92g
    Sear 13

As far as I know the last emperor did not mint coinage, but I do have the 2nd to last emperor.
    b285_a.jpg
    John IV
    Mint: Trebizond
    1446 to 1458 AD
    AR Asper
    Obvs: Λ in circle. St. Eugene on horseback right nimbate, holding cross-scepter. In upper field right ИH.
    Revs: John on horseback right wearing stemma with pendilia and loros, holding trefoil scepter. beneath horse. B to right of horse.
    13x14mm, 0.54g
    Sear 2642; Retowski 2

Like Doug I won't be able to obtain a XI, but am happy with this one.
    4190459.jpg

5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I spent my career in teaching history and was always dismayed by the lack of information, documentation and artifacts, compared to the Classical World, for teaching much of anything on the Byzantines. Later as a department head it was part of my job description to purchase texts for the students. I once went to a publishers trade show with a fellow teacher. I was looking for a good text for our World History students. I would open each text and head for the chapter that dealt with the Byzantine Empire, assuming the text had such a chapter. It was on the basis of this that I purchased the text. My companion asked what I was doing. What are you looking for? I told him that any text that offered a fair coverage of the Byzantine Empire was likely to a good text for us to take to review for purchase by the district. I have felt sorry for the Byzantines. They got a bad press back then and still do. Any empire that can stay together, even if a shrinking one, for some thousand years or so deserves better in both our history books and numismatic collecting. We collect what we value, so we can give them "the honor of remembrance" by devoting ourselves to the study of their history, (Procopius, Anna Comnena), art, (icons) architecture (Hagia Sophia) and religion (Eastern Orthodox) and we can do all of that through their coinage.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Bravo @kevin McGonigal ! I was fortunate to take a Byzantine upper division history course at UC Berkeley. Similar to your point, the course in the catalog was only offered about every third year and in my case was taught by Professor Warren Treadgold who is one of the leading experts on Byzantium. We had 12 students in the class.

His works:
    • The Early Byzantine Historians (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007);
    • A Concise History of Byzantium (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2001);
    • Treadgold, Warren T. (1997). A History of the Byzantine State and Society. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
    • Byzantium and Its Army, 284-1081 (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1995);
    • The Byzantine Revival, 780-842 (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1988);
    • The Byzantine State Finances in the Eighth and Ninth Centuries (New York: East European Monographs, 1982); and
    • The Nature of the Bibliotheca of Photius (Washington, D.C.: Dumbarton Oaks, 1980).
    Fortunately I learned quite a lot and that fueled lots of later reading on the topic. As you know, the western European historical tradition has been unkind to Byzantium in the primary sources. The Journey of Louis VII to the East portrays Manuel Comnenus as a villain who ruined a crusade. Similarly there is an unflattering portrait of Nicephorus Phocas in the Bishop Liutprand's Relatio de legatione Constantinopolitana.

It seems that the general lack of knowledge on Byzantium has continued to the present. Hopefully this will change in the future.

DonnaML and Marsyas Mike like this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I notice that many of the texts you cited came from Stanford where one of my daughters teaches. If you attended Berkeley (where another daughter got her PhD. a few years back, perhaps when you were there). did you ever go from Berkeley down to Palo Alto, just walk around Stanford's campus? Doing so is like getting in a time machine and going back to Mare Nostrum.

8. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice coins all!

Personally I collect Byzantine as an extension of Roman, currently ending with Justinian, but hopefully one day extending at least through Heraclius. Maybe further; time will tell. I do keep the coins I pick from bargain bins that I know I'd miss if I sold them.

Unfortunately I haven't migrated all my old photos to my new phone, so only one to share, a Phocas half follis overstruck on a Maurice Tiberius half follis.
    Phocas half follis overstruck.jpg

9. ancient coin hunter

I got an undergrad degree from Berkeley in Egyptian Archaeology and Languages/minor in Classics and an MBA from Stanford, eventually getting a Ph.D. in Business. I used to live in Atherton just north of Palo Alto and spent a lot of time both on campus and hanging out on University Avenue. That's pretty cool that your daughter teaches at Stanford.

DonnaML, 7Calbrey and kevin McGonigal like this.
  10. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

I am confused. I think you are wrong.¨

There is only ONE denomination in miliaresion, but they tend to be clipped.

The miliaresions were first debased in 1060's or so.

And why are you saying it is the third known example? - Miliaresion of Leo III are somehow common. (??)

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I wasn't aware of this denomination either until I saw it for auction. It's listed in Dumbarton Oaks as #23 and Sear as 1512A. The die diameter is way too small to be a full miliaresion, and the weight is too small as well, even for a clipped one; in addition note the presence of a globe at the bottom of the cross, absent from the full miliaresion. Here's a clipped full miliaresion, with a diameter of 22mm and weighing 1.8g (vs. 16mm and 0.76g for my coin):

[​IMG]

Here's the only other half listed on acsearch (0.88g, no diameter given):
    [​IMG]

Here are the relevant DO pages (see fn 204 on the first):
    Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.04.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 1.06.54 PM.jpg

The Goldberg example above is one of the coins in the note (private collection in Buffalo), the other is in a Swiss collection. Since the 2016 Goldberg example was the second known, I infer that mine is the third... though I'm all ears if anyone knows of any others! :)

The three weights (0.76g, 0.85g, and 0.88g) make me wonder if it's actually a third miliaresion, which was the fraction introduced much later.

BenSi, DonnaML, Marsyas Mike and 4 others like this.
  12. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Great thread all.

I love my Byzantine coins, and I don't much want them to become more popular, as it is probably the only 'set' in my collection (which spans ancient to pre-modern) that is pretty much affordable at all periods and for all coin types (noting of course that there are specific coins within types that are very rare and very expensive, like a Constantine XI Stavraton).

It is the only set, for example, where I have 3 gold coins broadly spanning the existence of the Empire, all of which were very reasonably priced. It is also the only set where early examples are cheap.

13. ancient coin hunter

Ditto. Let's not drive up the prices. we're good where we are now!

14. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Bought this coin from ebay, can you tell which picture was from ebay.
    Constantine X s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500.jpg Constantine X obv.jpg Constantine X rev.jpg

Theodosius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  15. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Here is my Constantine VIII & Romanus I, AV Solidus 91 AV SOLIDUS OBVc.jpg 91 AV SOLIDUS  REVc.jpg

16. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Congratulations indeed for your new educational site. I chose this Byzantine weight which was made of colored green glass. It was designed to weigh only gold coins. The Greek letters around the cross spell the name of the workshop prefect. Glass Weight  Byz 7th c..JPG

rrdenarius and Theodosius like this.
  17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

How much does it weigh?

18. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I've just found this item from my old boxes. It weighs 2.12 g. BTW..I already posted a thread on this item. It was found together with a bronze small stag.

19. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

@Valentinian - THANK YOU for this outstanding reference site. As I am expanding my Byzantine coin collection, your site will be an incredibly valuable resource for me.

Valentinian likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted