Introducing CoinTalk's Gallery and Showcase

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Peter T Davis, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

As in real life, we have many different ways to show off our coins. Some people enjoy doing exhibits at coin shows for example. Some people love creating albums. Now you can do both of those things here on CoinTalk.

I took a few moments to create examples in the showcase and gallery, but the way each works is flexible and allows for each of you to use your own creative touch to find new ways to show your coins.

I'd write more about how to use it, but @josh's coins already wrote a nice tutorial here to help everyone get started.

Special thanks to the CoinTalk Supporters for making these new additions possible.

Enjoy!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

Jeez Pete, one thing after another. Coin talk keeps getting better and better!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Anyway of shutting off the alerts? I saw the options and unchecked anything that wouldnt be related to ME, those I left checked, but I dont wanna see new alerts when a random person unloads a wheat cent.

torontokuba likes this.
  5. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Sorry if this was explained somewhere and I missed it. But what is the main difference between a "Showcase" and a "Gallery" -- they both sound kind of similar. How does one pick one over the other for displaying a set?

6. Peter T Davis

I posted this in reply to a similar question in another thread:

What's the general vision?

I agree that it might seem confusing at first, after all it's two different ways to do the same thing. Show off your coins.

So, an overview of why I thought both would be useful instead of one or the other:
    A showcase is going to look more like an exhibit. For example, see this thread Charmy posted a while ago. The Gallery, on the other hand, would be more like a coin album. Just as we have different ways of showing off our collections in real life, we now have different ways to show them off online.

josh's coins likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The way I see it is you use the Showcase to show off a special coin or two, or three. You use the Gallery as an on-line coin album for all of your coins. Or at least those you want to share with others.

Those new to the forum wouldn't realize that before CT switched to a new software just about a year ago, we had had member coin albums for years. But when we switched, the new software didn't support the album function. Now it does, so many members should be glad to once again be able to create albums of their favorite coins. The Gallery is just an extra added attraction.

8. Peter T Davis

Yep, and in fact with the Gallery it's not just for things you want to share with everyone. Share with everyone is one setting, or you can share just with members (logged in), or with specific people, or just for your own viewing. I don't believe the old software had that flexibility.

9. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

How do you rearrange the order of your Gallery photos in an album, after downloading them?

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

So there is no way to remove the notifications for stuff thats added or isnt mine?

torontokuba likes this.
  11. Peter T Davis

12. torontokuba

Does that include this notification...

Screen shot 2014-06-22 at 5.40.20 PM.png

Can it be turned off?

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Sounds good Peter , now if I could only take decent pics of my coins .
    But I am working on it . It's also nice to have a place that safekeeps your pics in case my laptop crashes . 2 thumbs up .

Peter T Davis likes this.
  14. Peter T Davis

If you go into the showcase tab and click mark items viewed it will zero it out, then click that link I posted above and disable future notices.

15. torontokuba

Perfect, nice to opt out from that mess. Thank you!

What about rearranging album photos in an album, is that an option?

16. Peter T Davis

I haven't tried that yet. Have a look and let us know!

17. torontokuba

I can't see a way to do it. I just deleted the album.

If you have an album and wish to add to it, or arrange the photos a certain way, it does not seem to be an option. I guess it might work for someone who has a complete year set and just keeps adding the next year. It seems that I won't be able to use it for a type set or to add key dates backwards or forwards.:(

18. Peter T Davis

I'll mention that to the developer, sounds like a good feature to add.

19. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

great idea, i love it!

Peter T Davis likes this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Did that, still showing up for me. Weird!

21. torontokuba

Screen shot 2014-06-22 at 11.19.23 PM.png

Yup, same here, still getting alerts. All my Showcase alert options are unchecked. It's like we have two separate forums. I'd like to stay on the old one, the Showcase one and its umpteen menus don't even trigger an interest with me. I also tried starting an album in the Gallery section, and that too was a bit discouraging. I think I'd just like to go back to the basics. No phone book of Featured Threads to worry about, no limited Gallery albums and no Showcase maze.

FYI, the Privacy Options on the album in the Gallery, would not let me save them as "Only me" or Registered users". Every time I tried, those settings reverted back to "Everyone".:meh:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted