Interpreting bad coin pictures

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Since the invention, photographs are supposed to allow the viewer to see what the photographer sees, but with everyone having some type of camera, it comes down to the photographers skill in representing what they are trying to share, and in my opinion, there are only a handful of photographers that can show the real subject matter to someone that isn't there to see it.
    What I'm trying to say is that I do rely on photos when bidding on auctions and pass on those that can't provide me with a decent photo. Are they trying to hide something, or like me, just not a good photographer? As mentioned, the proof is in the pudding, so you are always taking a chance on buying from a photo, but if the seller has a good return policy and you really want the coin, buying it to view in hand is the only you will find out. At $1100 I'm outa here.

C-B-D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I see no wear on the reverse, and no flattening on the obverse, so we have an MS baseline. There is some apparent luster, but much of it is hidden under a very deep skin of toning. Some of it looks very dark, almost black, so I would be worried about an ED designation, or at least an MS-60 grade.

That said, if I were buying to resell, I’d be in at low AU money. If buying to collect, I’d be in at mid/high AU money. There’s just no telling what is under that toning. At $600, that sounds like solid MS-62 money. I’d make a hard pass at that level.

C-B-D likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Thank you for that link. It's one I have not seen before and looks quite useful.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

$600 is AU58 money

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I see a whole lot more luster in these new pics. It appears my initial assessment of attractive and original was correct.

However, I still can't confidently judge AU vs UNC.

I'd very much be in at $600, which is AU money. At $1100, we're solidly into UNC (and if I were buying to resell, I'd have to be convinced it was 63).

I would not have been playing at that price.

NSP and C-B-D like this.
  7. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

It is your $, BUT unless you know the dealer I would not purchase this coin, although if it has a guarantee, and you want to get your refund it will take a few days if not weeks, they will float your $ to make a little interest and then return it to you. The photos might be out of focus or not clear FOR A REASON. JMO
    Semper Fi
    Live each day as you think it might be your last. You might be right.

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Okay, that looks much nicer. Solid MS.

My bad, I thought I was looking at a half dime.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I bought it. My curiosity got the best of me and I convinced myself it was a 63 CAC-worthy minimum. I have now bought 3 different 1833 dimes from this same seller. Haven't received any of them in hand yet, but my past purchases from them were choice. I'll post my own pics next week when it arrives, and keep everyone updated on the PCGS grade if/when I submit it.

wxcoin and -jeffB like this.
  10. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Thanks, please do! I hope you are right and they turn out to be nice coins. If so, it should give you some confidence in future dealings with that seller. I've been burned too many times; mostly due to my ignorance.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I may have buried myself in it, but one thing that gave me hope was my profile pic. That coin came from the same seller and just graded (conservatively, IMO), PCGS AU55.

wxcoin likes this.
  12. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

For me, I need a better picture for me to buy something at this price. I need to look at the fonts for my forgery inspection.. The 1833 is washed out and blured in the OP so it's hard to tell if it's correct or not. I'm not a drapped bust collector, so I would need more information to pull the trigger on that coin. The picture quality would prevent me at this time.

I tried improving it with Photoshop, but the picture is just too poor to do much, unless you really manipulate it, but that defeats the purpose.

Here's a much better picture of a coin of the same year.
    https://www.apmex.com/product/37767..._pi35ahB_9JMXlqXzSwBiN9Qj2zOa-qxoCsx4QAvD_BwE

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I identified it as a JR-10 variety, so that set my mind at ease in terms of counterfeit.

Malleus Maleficarum likes this.
  14. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Please let us know when you receive your four coins and let us know your satisfaction level with your purchases.

C-B-D likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm actually going to start a new thread as well on all three of the dimes I bought, using seller pics, my pics, and finally the PCGS grades. But it'll be weeks down the road.

ksparrow and wxcoin like this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Good luck, too rich for my blood

C-B-D likes this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

So if you don't buy anything raw online from pictures, and strictly rely on TPG opinions for grade, do you not have any interest in learning to grade coins or evaluate any pics? Even the pics of slabbed coins? Please don't see my question as an attack. It is definitely not, as lots of people prefer to not bother with it and strictly rely on TPG plastic. I just wanted to know what you (and others) could judge from the pics. If you can't, then that's fine. I was just wondering. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    TypeCoin971793, wxcoin and johnyb like this.
  18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The second set of pics helps some as now there appears to be a good deal of luster present. It also looks more attractive than in the initial poor images. I think AU 58 to MS 63 is possible. I still don't understand why sellers won't, with only a little effort, up their photo game and post better images, which should lead to stronger auction results, imo.

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

To be fair, this is a lady who is settling an estate. She does not know much about coins at all, or proper listing/photography methods. She just snaps pics, picks a starting price, and lets the cards fall where they may at auction. But just think.... if she had not added the video (where I got the stills from), it may have ended at $600!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    wxcoin likes this.
  20. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Well, I'll cut her some slack then! Taking the responsibility for selling a coin collection, especially piecemeal, is no easy task .

RonSanderson and C-B-D like this.
  21. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

IF you are personally acquainted with the lady and/or are in close proximity to her location, why not offer your expertise to assist her.
    I have recently done that on two occasions.

Draft saved Draft deleted