Interpreting bad coin pictures

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Why commit a copyright violation? Just point us at the site and let us look for ourselves.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

by these photos I am assuming its been cleaned but hard to say for sure.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

It appears to be AU with reasonably original toning, and it doesn’t jump out at me as being fake. That said, all sorts of surprises (e.g., scratches, graffiti, hairlines, etc.) can be hidden by images like those, so I would be leery of buying it.

5. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Well, as Benjamin Franklin would say, "when in doubt, don't" and as my bridge mentor Charles Goren would say, "when in doubt, pass"
    So in keeping with advice from sage ones, I won't and I will pass.:)

COOPER12 likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Ooh, interesting challenge, CBD.

First, I'm not convinced that there is necessarily nefarious intent on the part of the picture-taker. Dimes are tiny, this is probably shot with a cell phone, and getting an in-focus shot is difficult even for experienced hand-held photographers. Then blowing up that slightly out of focus shot will give a pixelated result, exactly as someone else mentioned previously.

The coin is obviously raw, but that's not a turn-off especially on early US coinage like this. Many people prefer them raw, and if you are knowledgeable enough to spot problems and fakes, you can do quite well with raw coins.

Nothing about this jumps out as fake. Dentils are correct, design details and positions are correct, it appears to be a crisp strike. Obviously, I can't see the surface details enough to spot bubbles or anything, but you're not going to get that crisp of a strike with casting anyways. If this is a fake, its a *really* good one.

Easiest to determine about the coin - it has nearly full details. Determining AU vs UNC from these pictures is impossible, so I won't even try. I would not wager UNC money on this coin, but at the very least it has high AU details.

I'm struggling to discern luster in these pictures, but that is probably due to the thick toning.

The toning has a natural look to me, it does not have the patterns that I associate with AT. AT would also probably be more colorful, even in these photos. Instead, this appears to be thick, natural toning. As someone mentioned earlier, there *appears* to be pull-away toning around the devices - a sure sign of old, natural toning. Pull-away is nearly impossible to duplicate, and usually doesn't recur on cleaned and retoned coins. In fact, I've seen the toning pattern on this coin enough times to wager that with good photos, you're probably going to have some very attractive deep shades of blue around the rims.

This toning also speaks to the originality of the coin - if it was cleaned, it would have been a long time ago. Unless there are a multitude of hairlines present, many collectors would have no problem buying this coin.

In summary, I think that this would be a good gamble at mid-AU money. You might get unlucky and get something hiding some problems, but I think its more likely that you'd get a pretty decent coin.

I look forward to the next chapter!

7. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Very easy to interpret: No well known TPG Slab I pass - pictures of the coin do not matter. With Photo Shop, etc it's too easy to juice a pic. Again, just a personal preference. I want the TPG Slab researched and verified.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My rule of thumb, with pics like that - simply walk away. There's all kinds of reasons for that but first and foremost is - there's always another one just around the corner, so why risk anything on one like this ?

That said that doesn't answer your question. There are a few things can interpret from pics like that. You have a rough idea of what kind of shape the coin is in based on the detail, but not really. That's because you have no idea what's going on with the surfaces or anything else, all you know is you cannot discern substantial wear because of the amount of detail remaining.

Then you have the toning, it's quite dark, mottled, and looks to be quite thick - very advanced in other words. It's hard to say how thick and how advanced based by the obv, but rev tells a different story. The toning, particularly from 9 up and around to 3 o'clock from the legends out appears to be very thick, perhaps even terminal. Things like that matter to a lot of folks, others not so much. This means your potential buyer pool is going to be much smaller that normal. And if your a collector, is that really what ya want ?

The dark, mottled toning also greatly reduces eye appeal, which in turn is going to reduce the grade as luster and eye appeal are the two most heavily weighted grading factors with TPGs. Given the advanced stage of the toning it's very unlikely there is any remaining luster - not positive but unlikely. This leaves eye appeal - and on this coin, as previously noted, that leaves a lot to be desired.

That's about as much as I can determine based on those pics. But that is more than enough to go with my rule of thumb - with pics like that simply walk away.

Magnus87 and C-B-D like this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The coin is exceedingly original. That's pull-away toning on the reverse. The $600 bid is appropriate, as there could be some AU58-ness hiding in that picture that nobody will be able to see until the coin is in hand. Big win if it holders MS62 or 63.

Mainebill and C-B-D like this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

So, as I said, bidding was winding down at about $600 when the seller posted a video of the coin. I admit that was stunned by what I could see even with the low quality video. After this, bidding fired up again and the coin reached $1100. Here are some stills I captured from the video, which I can't seem to find a way to post from my phone.
    Anyway, what do you see now? Does your opinion change at all? Thanks.
    20200725_105647.jpg 20200724_160107.jpg 20200725_105809.jpg 20200724_184226.jpg

11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

The contrast of the Reverse lettering makes me suspect that the picture was edited. The date makes me question the coins authenticity.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I was thinking the coin had more color than the first images showed.

13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@GDJMSP ...a recent post listed the following grading weights:

Surface preservation = 40%
    Strike = 20%
    Luster = 20%
    Eye appeal = 20%

Is this a “general” consensus or do the weighted percentages vary between TPGs? Or by collectors? If they vary, how the heck can you believe them?…Spark

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This sums up what should be the proper advice for collectors who are getting into Internet buying. Unfortunately, with virus killing so many coin shows, this where we are now.

This topic is fast becoming a dead horse in my opinion. It's been my experience that bad pictures are usually a sign that the seller is hiding something. That even goes for the major auction houses when they provide pictures that are way overexposed which is a way to hide marks and spots.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If I am sceptical at all and can not make a valid decision I pass. Better safe than sorry good luck

Heavymetal and johnmilton like this.
  16. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

If I could buy it for XF money then I'd take a chance on it. The poor imagery may hide a scratch or some other mark. I wouldn't pay the price of a comparable slabbed AU/MS coin.

17. GDJMSP

Same thing you see, that the color/toning is, apparently, no where near as dark as the original pics. That said, videos are worse than terrible for evaluating coins, and I would never, ever, buy a coin based on a video for that reason.

I also see that if the coin didn't have them before, it's now got at least partial fingerprints on it.

Bottom line, I'd still walk away.

Burton Strauss III, ldhair and C-B-D like this.
  18. GDJMSP

I have no idea who posted those percentages or when or where but I strongly disagree with them. And based on experience the TPGs definitely do not do that, not even close. And surface preservation, that's actually about 4 different grading criteria combined into 1.

Do the percentages vary ? Yeah, but not all that much. Every TPG there is has its own unique set of grading standards, different from everybody else's. But pretty much all of them give more weight to quality of luster and eye appeal than anything else.

There are about 9 individual grading criteria but the big 4 are quality of luster, eye appeal, contact marks, and hairlines. All other grading criteria are still important but less important than those. You could even say that at times all the TPGs seemingly ignore all the other grading criteria. For one example, many coins that are very poorly struck are given very high grades. Very high grades are defined as 66 and up.

Spark1951 likes this.
  19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since I go for die varieties/die marriages of Capped Bust or earlier coins, I need sharp images to ID the PUPs.
    Most of my 3+ figure coins come from GC, Heritage or Stack's since their images are generally sharp enough to ID the variety OR they may have do that work for me.
    A few slabbed eBay coins fall into that category too.

NSP likes this.
  20. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think my original opinion is still in the ballpark. I'd be bidding safely at low MS money, unless I could see the video and determine if I liked the coin better than that.

21. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

To add to that, all graders working for the TPGs are individuals, and have their own preferences, despite the TPGs having standards to which the graders are expected to adhere.

As in all industries, exceptions to the norm are always made in the grading room. We have all seen them, although not all of us recognize them for what they are. Despite what others may say about grading by the TPGs, there are NO ironclad rules.

wxcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted