Intermediate Quiz: What caused these marks?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMG_4542.JPG

What you see on this SLQ is common to silver coins. What do you think caused it?

For those who need to see the entire coin:

IMG_4541.JPG
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::p

BEST ANSWER: Describe what you see first, then tell us what caused it.

Hopefully, the experts will let the beginners post first.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I SEE parallel marks across the coin, devices and fields. I would guess feeder fingers.

Cheech9712, tmeyer and capthank like this.
  4. Insider

Kentucky, posted: "I SEE parallel marks across the coin, devices and fields."

Correct. You have identified the subject of this quiz. Now, what about them?

tmeyer and capthank like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Uh...feeder fingers not adjusted correctly?

Randy Abercrombie and capthank like this.
  6. Insider

Before trying to ID the cause of anything you see on a coin a person needs to be able to describe it in words that someone who cannot see the coin will understand and imagine what it looks like.

Great example so far: Parallel marks. What else? Are they wide/narrow, short/long, smooth/rough, jagged, raised, deep/shallow, colorful, etc.

The experts :bookworm::cigar: are behaving :muted:;) but I know they are dying :troll: to post the answer. Hurry up! What does anyone see?

7. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Parallel marks with across the fields and devices. Imagine a coin sliding across 36 grit sandpaper or a dirty glass top counter in a local soda shop in the 1940s. PMD? BTW, your picture of the whole coin is soooo blurry I can’t make out a thing. :(

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Under magnification, the lines appear "bumpy", and I think, a bit raised. It appears they may be more raised on the higher relief areas of the design.

I'll guess roller marks, since I am no expert.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    capthank likes this.
  9. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

Planchet roller marks that didn't strike out when struck.

Cheech9712 and capthank like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I know but will not say :lock:

Your blurry SLQ looks gold plated :wacky:

Evan Saltis, dwhiz, capthank and 2 others like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I can't figure it out. Some of the marks make me think of a clashed die but I can't match them to the reverse die. I'll just guess that the die was damaged in some way. Maybe even repaired. My last guess would be counterfeit.

capthank likes this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

It kinds has a brushed appearance, but it also looks like a planchet flaw

Insider likes this.
  13. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The parallel surface "scrapes" look similar to the marks made when repeatedly sliding coins out of plastic holders.

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I see no marks, clearly that is a MS70 coin!

Seriously, I'm going to go with "coin on coin contact" otherwise known as "wear".

capthank likes this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The marks appear not to traverse the whole coin. I imagined roller marks on a planchet would do so, but I'm not sure of that.

It doesn't look like the marks are more pronounced on high points of the design, as I'd expect them to be for something pre-existing on the planchet, or for that matter from sliding across a surface.

...no, wait, they do look more pronounced on the leftmost vertical element.

I also see a fine raised line diagonal to the main tracks (which I can't assign as "raised" or "incuse"). That diagonal appears to be dashed, as though something was skipping across the die and leaving scratches.

All I have time for at the moment. I'll watch with interest for the reveal.

16. Insider

No slide can make these marks.

Great example so far: Parallel marks. What else? Are they wide/narrow, short/long, smooth/rough, jagged, raised, deep/shallow, colorful, etc.

OK, one at a time. This is the subjective part. Are the PARALLEL marks wide or narrow. I'd describe narrow as two lead pencil lines next to each other. Wide might look like this.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The marks clearly go in one direction. I would use the word "parallel" to describe the relationship of the medial axes of the different blobs, but not the blobs themselves. They appear recessed, but as they are blob shaped and not striations, they wouldn't be roller marks. I'd say they're rolled out minor flaws in the planchet stock that aren't severe enough to have dark inclusions, but are too significant to be struck out completely. Based on the full-coin picture, you'd get a lot of money for this on eBay.

Kentucky, Insider, capthank and 2 others like this.
  18. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

The wide marks have 3D texture to them. Like what it looks like when you pull old duct tape off of something.

Insider and longshot like this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They are on the raised features so feed finger abrasions are out. The lines appear to have some lines that are etched separated by lines that are not "etched". The etched marks do not appear to be flush to the surface. Could be something that was rolled into the surface of the strip, or something has selectively etched the coin based on slight differences in the metal composition. Could also be a strikethrough but the linear structure would tend to indicate that if it was the material was on the planchet through the rolling process.

Insider and capthank like this.
  20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This is the part that throws me. I say that because I've never seen marks quite like those before.

[​IMG]

Some are wider than the others, (and yes I would describe some as being quite wide, unusually wide even), some are deeper than the others, and some have different starting and ending points, some transect raised portions, others do not. There is 1 mark that transects the upper parallel mark inside the plaque, but that appears to be a reed hit.

But the cause, I can't quite hazard a guess because some characteristics seem to indicate post strike cause and some pre-strike cause - and that all by itself doesn't jive. The coin is obviously weakly struck though as indicated by the fact that there is not a single letter visible in plaque box, and usually there is even on well worn examples. But it's also not unheard of for the plaque box to be void of any letters/text either, even on MS examples.

Lastly, what's going on with the E is a scrape/gouge/heavy contact mark, and seemingly completely unrelated to the parallel marks.

So OK Mike, I waited 2 days to say that much - and still haven't said much. Please continue :)

capthank and John Burgess like this.
  21. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

So, what the Paul Harvey moment?

Where's "the rest of the story?"

Z

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted