Interesting Unknown Arabic Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by VikingCoin, Oct 20, 2021.

1. VikingCoin

VikingCoin New Member

I go through a lot of foreign coins and I have never seen anything like this before. I don't read Arabic, nor do I know much about Islamic Coins. I believe this coin could be Qajar dynasty or from the Mughal empire. Let me know if you have any information about the coin. It weighs 1.83 grams and has a diameter of 22.4-23.1mm.
    IMG_2380.jpeg IMG_2381.jpeg

Attached Files:

alurid and Robidoux Pass like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

That is interesting. I have little luck identifying coins like this as the symbols aren't relatable to anything I'm familiar with.
    Please let us know when it is identified. Looks like silver to me, but that's just from the photo.

4. VikingCoin

VikingCoin New Member

I assume it is silver or a silver alloy such as Billon.

5. Mountain Man

I wonder if posting in Ancient Coin forum would help?

VikingCoin likes this.
  6. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

I don't read Arabic either; I know a little that I can make out words on things such as road signs ... and some words on coins. The coin is undecipherable to me. In my admitted ignorance, I do not see any indication of a date or a denomination.

The hole indicates it was worn, probably on clothing. I don't know the reason for the center hole.

The weight is quite light, which indicates it may be a fantasy coin. These are often produced in quantity for use at weddings. I also have several Bedouin niqabs (face veils) that have these fantasy coins (as well as a few genuine coins) sewn on for decoration.

VikingCoin and Mountain Man like this.
  7. Mountain Man

Robidoux might be on to something. Maybe it is a token and not a coin at all?

VikingCoin likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Look up Belly dancing coins.

The Eidolon likes this.
  9. VikingCoin

VikingCoin New Member

Thank you guys so much for the responses! It probably is a Bedouin fantasy coin with the weight. I will post the coin in the ancient forum with that info, Robidoux. Thank you guys again!

Draft saved Draft deleted