Interesting Tidbit.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Was reading an excerpt from a book on GB coins.

It says that up until the 50's the mint only kept a record of the coins they minted THAT YEAR, not the particular year minted.

So say for instance, the year 1863, they might of minted 10,000 pennies, but they could of also minted 5,000 1865 pennies, and in 1865, they could of minted another 10,000 1865 pennies and some 1866 ones as well.

Can anyone enlighten me further on this, also wondering if the Canadian mint did the same?

It would be cool to have a "mint map". As in which mint was making coins for which country. I know each commonwealth did not have their own mint.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Tim, work on your grammar: might have, not might of. Beyond that, the mint map sounds like a good project. Why not make one then ask others to review it?

4. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I don't have access to the resources available to accomplish such a thing.

I do know that Great Britain minted some coins for Canada, and any Canadian coin with a H mint mark came from the Birmingham mint.

I also know the Philadelphia mint struck some dimes for Canada, but surprisingly they are not marked "P".

[​IMG]

The Winnipeg facility of the Royal Canadian Mint also produced coins for over 70 different countries.

New Zealand does not have it's own mint for the NZ dollar (it does have it's own private mint), but rather, the Royal and the Royal Canadian mint strike coins for them.

You would think it would be rather cost prohibitive to have coins transported from Canada to NZ. That's over 8,000 miles away.

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

"You would think it would be rather cost prohibitive to have coins transported from Canada to NZ. That's over 8,000 miles away."

New Zealand is a small country. A years mintage would fit in one container easily, I would think. BTW, New Zealand is one of the only countries that is paying down it's debt. I must make financial sense.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Congrats on Super Bowl Champions

7. NorthKorea

Basically what Jensen said. Also, economies of scale. If NZ minted its own coins, it would need to buy planchets from someone. By having the RCM mint the coins, they are able to stack their order onto the RCM and other countries (Thailand, Yemen, etc). The question I would have asked was why NZ doesn't have Australia mint its coins. The answer is somewhat self-explanatory... I think NZ would hate to admit that they need Australia for something.

beef1020, medoraman and harris498 like this.
  8. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

All these information require a fair amount of effort and research. I have compiled a list of Central Bank, mints and Printing companies a while ago: http://gxseries.com/worldmoneylist.htm

This does not include contracted companies that supply planchets etc.

There is a reason why New Zealand does not have it's own mint - the population is too small to have one and I presume it's cheaper to contract striking of coins from overseas. Contracts have been awarded to South Africa, Canada, UK, Australia and Norway. On top of this, labour cost in New Zealand is significantly high. To construct a mint from scratch just cannot be justified and this cannot be compared to Australia and Canada where the mints have been established for more than 100 years old.

NorthKorea: "The question I would have asked was why NZ doesn't have Australia mint its coins."

This is not true. Australia has previously struck coins for New Zealand. For more information, read here: http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/notes_and_coins/coins/0094086.html. It comes down to how low each competitor can produce their coins for.

Collect89 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I know it can be disappointing to read posts with improper or incorrect usage, but if you're going to correct Tim, then you should spend the rest of your life correcting others here.

Chris

Hiddendragon likes this.
  10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

There. Right there. I learned something new. Thanks!

Your mint list hasd the potential to be very useful to me. I am always frustrated by the fact that, 9/10 times, Krause doesn't mention the mint that struck for the country.

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Would be nice to have but would also be very difficult. Partly because in some cases the government that places the minting order and the producing mint have some kind of NDA, but also because many countries have various suppliers.

Take Luxembourg for example. Their euro coins (in LU the earliest ones are dated 2002) have been minted in Utrecht/NL, Vantaa/FI, Pessac/FR, Stuttgart/DE, Warsaw/PL, Vienna/AT, Vilnius/LT and Jablonec/CZ. Would be a complex map. ;)

Christian

12. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Schools in Seattle are closed today for a ticker tape parade.:D

Endeavor likes this.
  13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Schools are closed in Connecticut today for snow & freezing rain. :(

Endeavor likes this.
  14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

For coins minted by the US mints, we have this book available:

Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States 1793-1970
    Department of the Treasury Bureau of the Mint, stock number 4805-00012

Endeavor likes this.
  15. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

At least you guys have snow... :(

16. NorthKorea

No point to that. Tim is still young enough (in college) to have an impact on his thought process. Those of a certain age would simply view it as being asinine and respond in a sophomoric manner.

Draft saved Draft deleted