Interesting stamped note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by BRandM, May 1, 2014.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Corner bar.jpg I received this bill in change at a drug store several days ago and thought it would be interesting to post. When I first noticed the stamp I thought it was one of those "Where's George" stamps, but when I looked more closely later I found it much more interesting. It's a bit hard to read, but it says "Corner Bar / McMurdo Station / Antarctica"
    For those who aren't familiar with McMurdo Station, it's a U.S. scientific research station on Ross Island in McMurdo Sound in Antarctica. Of course I wanted to know if there was a Corner Bar at the site and found out there actually was. What a long ways away from "home". You have to wonder where it's been since it was issued.
    You can sure understand the need for a bar in a place where the average yearly mean temperature is only +2 F :eek: Thanks for looking.

Bruce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That's a cool piece. I like it.

4. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

That's a very unique note, one you will probably never see in change again. I wonder what bank handles the infrequent deposits from the bar? :>) Actually, I would have thought everyone would just run a tab and settle up once a month when paid. Via a debt card or something similar. When you were trying to find information, did you get any idea what other business's operate at that station? Is it an international, U.S. government or a private venture? I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around the rareness of finding this.

BRandM likes this.
  6. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I was so curious I had to do some Googling on this. The "Corner Bar" was actually the corner of the living quarters of a guy named Harry at McMurdo -- sort of a private pub. My guess is he decided to make some of these and give them out as souvenirs. If you want to see photos, check the bottom of the Dec. 12 posting here:
    http://www.physicschick.com/pole/index_2008_dec.html

Ardatirion likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well thank you for the compliment, guys. I can make more, from wherever you want, just tell me.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its a really, really cool piece Bruce. And just think how lucky it was that a counterstamp collector got it in change! As much as I hate having people scribble worthless crud on bills, marks like this are brilliant. I wonder if some of those "Deadliest Catch" guys should get in on the act? Stamp out some bills from the galley of a crabber in the Bering Sea. :)

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I don't think anyone said it's worth more than a dollar. If you want the cost and have the time to rubber stamp these, let me know, I can give you quite a list. :>)

10. BRandM

Apparently, it's a U.S. government installation run indirectly by the National Science Foundation Sam. There's about 1,000 or so "residents" there but only about 200 are scientists, the rest being support personnel . It must be a huge undertaking to keep the place operating. BTW, they do have one (and only one) Wells Fargo ATM there.:D

Bruce

saltysam-1 likes this.
  11. BRandM

I guess I was in the right place at the right time. I'm definitely going to keep it. It needs some tender loving care for sure. I'll keep my eyes open for a "crabber" stamp.:happy:

Bruce

12. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Wait what? I'm guessing you're not in Antarctica. Counterfeiting these stamps is just lame.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Great post and addition to your collection Bruce. I'm guessing someone was (is still) puzzled in a far away place after finding your stamp on their coins too. ;)

14. BRandM

You're probably right Chris, I know I would be. This bill is a neat little find, especially from change. From the condition of it, it probably wouldn't have circulated much longer, so it got to me just in time.

BTW, I'm still collecting NJ obsoletes and pick up a new one here and there. I have 25 or so now, a small but growing collection. Very interesting series to collect but as you know my main focus is on counterstamped coins. Good to hear from you again Chris.

Bruce

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Pretty cool the counterstamp collector got a stamped note!

BRandM likes this.
  16. BRandM

A nice change of pace Jack.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted