Interesting photo technique for high relief coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Apr 5, 2017.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Nyatii, Paul M. and Rick Stachowski like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting
    I use a similar technique called..
    Focusing! :wacky:

But I understand his technique. (Photoshop kind of expensive)
    Thanks for sharing.

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I had to try it with my half arse set up
    gb hr.JPG

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Don't forget there's Photoshop Elements which is a relatively inexpensive subset of Photoshop.

dwhiz and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

... and GIMP is free...

7. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

There are various tools for focus stacking available, ranging from free software (CombineZP) through software and hardware combinations running into the thousands of dollars (StackShot, etc).

8. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Does GIMP do stacking? I started out with CombineZM, then CombineZP, which are both free. I now use Helicon Focus.

Usually for full coin shots, stacking is not required unless the coin is not flat due to tilting, either intentional or un-intentional. Even high relief coins can be adequately imaged at the f/11 Phil mentions, but not if they are tilted.

Where focus stacking is absolutely required is for higher magnifications. Above 1:1, the depth of field starts to get very shallow, and stacking is needed if you want a sharp final image.

9. robec

robec Junior Member

I occasionally use Helicon Focus also.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Nope. My stacking workflow is RAW processing for color/sharpness -> CombineZP using Pyramid Weighted Average (seems to work best for coins) to stack -> Gimp for cropping and display sizing as required. Helicon Focus is on the list of future purchases, when both time and money allow me to do it right.

11. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

My only complaint with CZP is that it tends to over-sharpen the rendered image. I was starting to look at writing my own macros (which is as distasteful to me as sucking silly putty) when I just decided to go with Helicon. If you are good at writing macros then you could optimize CZP to give an excellent result. It's good already when downsizing for web publishing.

12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Would focus stacking work well to show the relief on ancient coins, or would the coins need to be tilted? I've seen coins with higher relief than the entire thickness of some modern coins.

13. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

No tilt necessary for the photo technique to show the full depth in sharp focus, but the tilt does give a better "impression" of the 3D quality of the coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for sharing the stacking article. I will try it though have been aware of it for a long time. This will just push me to DO.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I've used Helicon Focus for this. It works much better and quicker than CombineZP/ZM, and I think there's a free 14 day trial if you just want to dabble a little bit. Another is Zerene.

I used this on a trilobyte my daughter had prepared. I'll try to find the pictures tonight.

A friend of mine does this with micro-minerals, using up to 200 frames, spaced as closely as 2 µm. Some pretty cool stuff in his gallery on Mindat.

Draft saved Draft deleted