Interesting numbers from NGC on total <world> graded coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by wcg, Apr 15, 2016.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I did word that poorly looking back, interally tracking I would imagine they both do. I am almost positive PCGS doesn't include them in population reports. If they do it is in a weird way. As an example I checked a 1876 CC 50C Au details WB 101 against the PCGS database just now. They show no population on the cert verification and the only two in their population report are a 45 a 63.

I didn't check NGC but how would you include say AU details into a pop report with AU 50/53/55/58 ect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm not sure what you are asking? Go to the NGC census and see for yourself. Details grades are not broken down into 50/53/etc... it's just AU details. For each date, there is a population with numeric grades, and there is a population with details grades. It is all on the NGC website.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Ah yes I see that on the webpage now, had never noticed that. Those are separate numbers though relating back to the original question which need to be included as well. Wish PCGS would do that too actually.

5. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I have collected South African coins since 1998 and know many collectors located there. This country has a TPG preference similar to the US and most of the coins to my knowledge are owned by locals, not Americans or anyone else. This is evident in the prices between local sales in South Africa and elsewhere, the price spreads between grades, appearance on dealer websites etc. Many US sellers list them on eBay but its disproportionately the more common issues and I currently assume these mostly represent coins which previously left the country a long time ago.

As for China, its my suspicion they have some preference for NGC and PCGS because of their own counterfeits.

6. World Colonial

I agree most graded coins are bought by US collectors, though I have seen a recent increase in foreign auctions on Sixbid. Swiss auction firm Numisor is one which offers TGP coins almost exclusively.

7. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed watching people weigh in on this thread. Any other surprises from the newly published ngc numbers?

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

This is a real surprise to me. Given these numbers and accounting for resubmissions, I wouldn't be surprised if bullion actually outnumbered other coins. Why anybody would want to slab bullion though is a little bit of a mystery to me, as it doesn't seem worthwhile unless they're going to grade MS/PF70.

9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

You seem to know something about the local market in South Africa for their own coins. If so, your knowledge about that numismatic market and those "price spreads" that exist not only between grades, but also between prices in SA and outside of SA, would be very enlightening for the rest of us.

If you are the "writing type" of person, I encourage you to do a general, introductory-level article on South African coinage touching on the coins most widely collected, their value range, the extent of interest by hobbyists in South Africa, major numismatic organizations, the importance of third-party grading -- that sort of thing. You could publish it here, and if the powers-that-be like it, it could well become one of those "featured articles" on the Home Page, especially if accompanied by some images of these coins. Or perhaps submit it to COINage Magazine, which takes outside submissions. I have an article under consideration there, hopefully to be published soon. Ask me if you have questions.

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

After reading your article in the above link, you are definitely the writing type. It is in a good sense I say this. Have you spent time there? I'm not sure I have as good an understanding of U.S. time periods as you have of South Korean. Well written I might say again. I would take the dumb pull over cap (In your Avatar) and replace it with a graduation cap. :>)

11. World Colonial

Thanks for your offer. I can do that at some point.

12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Thanks for your kind words! I spend every-other summer there, and I lived there for a few years in a row some time ago. Writing about coins is my main hobby, and I wish I had more time for it! Going through the trouble of getting some ability in reading a foreign language and translating pages of text definitely pays off in getting to really know your subject, if it is a coin from a non-English speaking country. The problem for me will be having to rely more on online translators when studying the literature on coins from a language that I am not familiar with!

But getting back to the OP: The confusion here around NGC's World Coin numbers is just a part of the many unknowns about world coins. That's why I encourage people who have specific and extensive knowledge of foreign numismatic markets and coins (especially modern issues) to write about those coins in English, in order to add to our knowledge about them.

The subject of World Coins is so huge, the growing interest in them is not abating at all, yet so little information is readily available in English.

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I would love to buy/read a book about Moroccan coinage in English. There is one in Spanish (from the 70's) that is hopelessly out of date, there is one in French, and I'm sure there are some in Arabic. I don't read any of those languages...

14. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

True, getting a book in English can be tough for a lot of areas. I collect sogdian coins, and almosy all references are in Russian unfortunately. I own the books, but cannot read all of the good background history, just look at the photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted