Interesting numbers from NGC on total <world> graded coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by wcg, Apr 15, 2016.

1. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

This is not intended to be a thread on merits of NGC or even TPGs in general. I simply found it fascinating to see the total number of coins by country in NGC holders. I personally focus mainly on German States, Austrian States, and Italian States, and I was amazed to see how inconsequential these areas are in relation to the overall volume of world coins in holders.

United States: 23,970,702
    China: 1,300,393
    South Africa: 390,395
    Australia: 388,440
    Canada: 309,120
    Great Britian: 188,403
    Russia: 125,773
    Mexico: 82,417
    Poland: 64,733
    Germany: 57,753

Interesting fact: More 2016 Monkey bi-metallic 10Y have been graded than all Germany and Switzerland issues combined for all centuries.

GSDykes likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Basically Europeans don't like plastic yet slowly growing to accept it. US loves it and Chinese love what Americans do. No wonder both TPG opened offices in China.

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It may be that a larger number of Chinese coins that are slabbed are actually bullion.

6. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I agree with this guess. I'd bet probably 1 million of the 1.3 million Chinese coins slabbed are just silver or gold ultra modern bullion issues.

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

The 3 surprises for me were South Africa, Australia, and Poland. I am amazed that there are 6 times more South African coins in holders than German coins.

It will be interesting to see if the Chinese love of bullion will eventually augment the interest in "classic" Chinese imperial and republic coins and ultimately other countries outside the Asian arena.

8. brg5658

I added them up -- and, of the 1.3 million Chinese coins graded...more than 1.1 million of them are bullion or commemorative (functionally NCLT bullion) coins.

==============

Of the 23.9 million USA coins graded, 10.1 million are bullion issues, and 4.8 million are non-gold dollar coins (Morgans, Peace, ..., Presidential). ASE's alone are 8.2 million graded, and Morgan dollars are 3.1 million.

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, many of the coins from China are bullion like Pandas. A majority of the rest are "vintage" coins that are going into big auctions.

10. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Interesting numbers brg5658.

I have to give NGC kudos for improving the census part of the website. The metrics and total counts are great.

GSDykes likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Another point I would add. I bet you a large percentage of these world coins in slabs are actually IN the US, bought by US collectors. The reason Chinese coins are so high is US collectors like Pandas, but dislike all of the fakes on the marketplace.

It would be interesting to see what % of these are actually held outside the US. ;)

Paul M. and Jwt708 like this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think @medoraman is correct as well - bullion coins bought and slabbed by US dealers/collectors.

13. brg5658

Here are the top 50 types of USA coins graded by NGC. Everyone loves Bullion, Morgans, and State Quarters. :yack:

[​IMG]

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Are the counterfeits included in the Chinese count or US count?

Lol. Its just a joke dont lynch me. I know a TPG would never put a Chinese fake in slab :)

Paul M. and mlov43 like this.
  15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

The numbers are inflated for us coins though, right? Since a lot of US coins are resubmitted, this will inflate numbers

Paul M. likes this.
  16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yeah.
    Never happen. No way. Not in a million years...

17. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Don't forget South Korea. NGC has an "International Submission Center" there at the auction house, Hwadong, in Seoul. The vast majority of graded S. Korean coins in Korea are graded by NGC.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Do the numbers in this chart, and in the OP, include coins in details holders or only those that received a numerical grade? This would be relevant when discussing classic coins, both U.S. and world. There are a lot of details coins out there, and if they aren't included that would skew the numbers toward bullion.

19. brg5658

No idea. It doesn't specify on the NGC website.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I don't think either NGC or PCGS keeps population reports for details coins, if they do they don't put them online that I have seen. That is certainly a valid point in terms of accuracy for bullion vs non bullion, but with either service bullion coins will lead the pops with how popular they are and how cheap massive sellers can get them to market. It is very easy to order a couple thousand bullion coins to send in, takes considerably more effort to find older coins and would require a larger capital commitment.

As a side note, Australia is one country that the TPGs could consider an international success so far with the popularity of slabs catching on there.

21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

NGC absolutely tracks details numbers. If you go to their census, details pops are available for everything. I would strongly suspect that the numbers posted above include details grades.

I don't follow PCGS that closely, so I can't speak for them (although, I am absolutely certain that they track the details numbers, even if they don't post them).

Draft saved Draft deleted