Interesting new variety of '96-D cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cladking, Jan 8, 2014.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Surprisingly enough it's a really dramatically different reverse that has escaped notice, probably because there are so many other interesting things in the '96 mint set. About 3% (or a little less) of the '96 Denver cents in this set have a finer lettering at the top of the reverse. The differences are significant but are focused on the top of the second "S" in "STATES". This letter lacks a serif at the top and is further from the rim. I'm estimating the surviving population at 30,000 but this presupposes that none were made for circulation or that none were preserved.
    These appear as PL's so far but the sample is still small.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

is there anything published you can cite for this or is it something you discovered? Just wondering. Thanks for sharing either way. Got any pics?

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I believe I'm the first to discover it (just yesterday) or at least that no one has been letting on that it exists. These really are pretty dramatic. It an be seen at arms lenght and there's a very high correlation bwetween the most PL issues of the date and being this variety.

I'm hoping someone will post a picture before the thread gets very old. I've got everything I need except the ability to use the camera on a coin.

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Sam, you really have to post some comparative photographs for a visual on what you're referring to as most folks do not have a "hoard" of 1996 Mint Sets.

I looked at the "one" that I have and compared it to the 1995 and 1997. They all looked the same as I just do not know "what" to look for.

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Yeah, I know. You really need to ave both in front you to compare.

In this case it's not quite as important to have both since the difference is huge. On the "far-S" variety the distance between the top of the S and the rim is four times the width of the top of theletter and on the regular coin it's only the width of the letter from the rim.

I'm going to hold out hope someone will post a picture for at least a bit.

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I have never heard of any such discovery until now. We will need to see pics from you, instead of waiting for someone else to look through their own coins and try to spot this rare new "variety" for themselves.

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

heres mine edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
    Endeavor likes this.
  9. non_cents

I'm not saying that the OPs claim is likely or not likely, but surely posting a picture of someone doing drugs in response to their thread is a little insulting, no? (And also against CT rules?)

10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I've only got two sets but the second S is a little thinner than the first S. Unfortunately, it appears like the P cent has a similar S. I'm thinking that it just typical. I'm wondering on the way you determined the 3% or less of the population with this thin S. Do you looked at hundreds of them to determine this percentage?

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I found a few rolls from mint sets and just "did the math". The sample size is still too small to get a highly accurate number but I'm about 90% confident that originally the %age was between 2.5 and 3%.

If your's is just a little thinner then it's not it.

12. Rick Stachowski

non cents, this kid got you huck, line, and sinker, but kids will play, or as us older would say, some peoples kids :rolleyes:

Endeavor likes this.
  13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

edited

14. non_cents

edited

And what, exactly, is the point you are trying to make (if any)?

15. AWORDCREATED

edited

16. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

edited

They have no relevance to the OP question.

non_cents likes this.
  17. AWORDCREATED

Kinda like post #8??

But back to the OP - can we see some visuals please?

Endeavor likes this.
  18. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I think non cents makes great contributions to this forum.

non_cents likes this.
  19. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

its more about the connotation associated with the image than what is actually depicted in the image. Not everyone who claims to have found a new variety should be immediately discredited by association with the image. @Rick Stachowski you just had one of your own. While I've read enough of your posts to believe you posted that as a kind funny way to tease the OP, and maybe goad him into posting pics of what he's talking about, some (maybe the OP) may be insulted who are unfamiliar with your sense of humor.

to the OP, please attempt a pic so we can better see what you mean.

Numismat likes this.
  20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's no problem guys.

I'm still waiting for someone to find one. ;)

21. Rick Stachowski

he will never post anything, hes whats known as a mole

Draft saved Draft deleted