Interesting Julia Domna denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tejas, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I found this coin on an auction website. I have never seen this type before.
    According to the seller the diameter is 2.5cm and the weight is 9.45 gm.

This would seem to be some kind of medaillon

IVLIA AVGVSTA // MATRI CASTR

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 16.04.47.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

My guess is a tetradrachm?

4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

5. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

That's a cistophoric tetradrachm, a denomination that was also struck for Septimius Severus, Caracalla as young Augustus, and Geta as Caesar. All very rare, the Geta unique in ANS from a Bank Leu sale. See BMC pp. 304-6 and pl. 67.1-5. Careless of ocre to misclassify the Domna as a medallion.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  6. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. Does anybody have an idea regarding its value?

7. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Not many Roman women have been awarded the appellation of "to the mother of the camp". I wonder if she got that as the wife of Septimius or the mother of Caracalla. Also the medal is supposed to be of silver but in the OP's image I see either a laminar or a plated medallion. Do you think it ever circulated as currency?

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

From what I remember reading, she was given the name "Mother of the Camp" due to her traveling with Septimius Severus while he was on his campaigns.

Andres2 and ominus1 like this.
  9. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

A Russian collector friend of mine wrote me this (my translation):

This is a tridrachm of Julia Domna, minted most likely by Caesarea of Cappadocia or another city in Asia Minor. The inscription on the coin - Matri Castr is stands for mater castrorum - mother of camps, apparently in honour of the fact that Julia Domna was involved in providing the legionaries with the necessary supplies. This would also explain the bundles of corn on the reverse.

DonnaML likes this.
  10. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

A better specimen from the same dies, without the large pit on portrait and deposits on rev., brought £1800 = $2771 = 2117 euros, plus buyer's fee, in Morton & Eden 64, 5 June 2013, lot 120.

11. Roma

Roma Active Member

MATRI stands for matri, not for mater, first is dative, the second is nominative.
    Often there are altars who celebrate an augusta as matri castrorvm because she proceeded to rebuild or renewal a camp or barracks. The pic below show an altar in Ostia placed in honour of Julia domna because made some works in the vigiles’ barracks.
    As you can see engravers errors were present on marbles also, here you can notice how they wrote MATRI AVGVST, and then they added a small “I” above. They were so frequent not only in officials marbles. Below always from the vigiles’ barracks another altar issued for gordianus with a similar error.
    96E54209-7938-4AFF-9CBF-9CCF5ACC38DF.jpeg

619B5DFE-C2B9-44EC-AE57-BC94E92AC989.jpeg

12. kevin McGonigal

The use of a letter "K" for the initial C of castrorum makes me think the engraver's first language was not Latin.

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A Julia Domna "Matri Castrorum" denarius
    JuliaDomnaDenMatriCastrorum.jpg
    Julia Domna, wife of Septimius Severus. AR Denarius (16mm; 3.15 gm; 6h). Struck 196 AD. Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right. Rev: MATRI CASTRORVM (Mother of the Camps), Domna standing left, sacrificing from patera held in right hand, holding box in left hand; two standards left. RIC IV 567; BMCRE 57; RSC 134.

14. Roma

Roma Active Member

Not properly, is well documented that the use of k instead of the c started at the end of II century and largely continued during the III century, for example in Rome has been found several inscriptions of genius kastrorum peregrinorum, and in general many inscription of the III century with the use of the K.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  15. kevin McGonigal

But perhaps being "peregrini" in Rome indicates people whose first language was not Latin.

Draft saved Draft deleted