Interesting Grading Decision

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NSP, Sep 17, 2018.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It's VERY interesting to read this thread and the comments....I'm learning alot, but mostly I'm just surprised since PCGS slabs have held that premium for eons.

My own belief is it is fading and fewer people aside from LM's clientele really care that much about it.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's not, but you will find many posters on this site are disproportionately against them and can get lead into market traps if you don't actually look for yourself.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's called "Key date bump". It often seems that key dates seem to be given "the benefit of the doubt" when it comes to the grade. Which is why I have seen 1916 D dimes graded as high as VG-8 that have the rims worn into the lettering.

5. GoldFinger1969

I'm not against them, I just don't think that any ACTUAL market discrepancy from grading or any PERCEIVED discrepancy (as with ICG or ANACS) exists to the extent that one is there.

I think PCGS and NGC both do a good job. In no way does a PCGS slab command a huge CAC-like premium, IMO.

I really am "buying the coin, not the label" going forward.

6. baseball21

It does where significant numismatic premiums exist, but everyone is free to do as they wish. Same conversation that's been happening here for years about it and now a bunch will likely call me a fan boy and attack me which was the norm so I will just say I do hope you enjoy what you get and exit this conversation

Robert Ransom and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly. The Bust quarter clearly shows that PCGS can be as lenient as the so-called “second tier services”. I tend to actively search for CAC coins now, as it’s unlikely that such coins would get a sticker.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

It hasn't been my experience, or maybe I just have bad luck.

9. GoldFinger1969

If more examples like this become commonplace, the premium has to fade -- no ?

Another problem was that for 1 or 2 of the slabs that NGC used, you could not see the edges of the coins.

10. GoldFinger1969

No, if NGC isn't engaged in gross overgrading then you are experiencing GOOD luck. :D

11. baseball21

I'm really stepping out of this conversation and could say more but won't, but I'll leave with this final thought.

If we say the grading is equal what's the separator, the slab and other services. The current PCGS slab is optically superior, scratch resistant as standard and even water resistant. Many don't like the NGC white prongs for for some reason they up-charge to be scratch resistant instead of it being standard below the express level

The market decides things and the market is much bigger than any of us here

12. Moondog

Moondog New Member

Here's a copy and paste from my previous post:
    "The same goes for the 1914-D, 1909 VDB Lincolns, etc.."
    A grade is a grade is a grade is a grade.....
    If that particular die wasn't "capable" of producing an MS70 coin, so be it. The grade is what it is.
    AGAIN: As I stated in my previous post, it is not only the 22-D; "The same goes for the 1914-D, 1909 VDB Lincolns, etc..". And the 1877 Indian, and so on.

13. baseball21

Sorry for trying to help explain it.

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

you are comparing a crappy strike coin with a good strike coin.

baseball21 likes this.
  15. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

We either have a grading scale, or we don’t.

Moondog likes this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

I was unaware that there was a PHYSICAL and LONGEVITY difference in the 2 slabe....I assumed plastic was plastic.

Me personally, I don't mind the white prongs. I hate that slab that totally encases the coin. It's solid-white.

The PCGS premium has to be for grading and resale, doubt many people know that the plastics are different. Well, I didn't. :D

FWIW, lots of people really like the NGC slabs on modern coins and commemoratives.

17. Moondog

Moondog New Member

Let me just put it this way. When I find the "upgrade" 1914-D (wheat), and get ready to sell the 1st one, it's going to PCGS for slabbing. That way I can get AU for my VF coin (a couple hundred more bucks).
    Just saying, that's all

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    GoldFinger1969 and Mainebill like this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I agree with the inconsistency with grading. Why I think cac approved coins are bringing such a premium. And they’re not foolproof either. I’ve seen some ugly coins with a bean

19. GoldFinger1969

I've repeatedly said that the assembly-line rapidity where these guys are spending 5-15 seconds per coin is the reason they are making mistakes. Vets here disagree with me.

These graders are HUMAN. Their physical senses (i.e., sight) have not been enhanced by moving to a planet with a yellow Sun.:D They might be more experienced than us and light-years faster in grading coins, but there is a physical limit to how fast they can ACCURATELY grade a coin.

I'll bet when NGC got those 1933 Saints to grade they gave them more time on them than they would have a bunch of 1924's or 1928's.

20. Moondog

Moondog New Member

PCGS Current Auction.jpg
    Here is a 1922 No D currently at auction. PCGS grade ???

PhotoGrade-B.jpg
    Here is a coin directly from PCGS Photograde. Grade ???

PhotoGrade - A.jpg
    Here is another coin from PCGS Photograde (1 grade better than the previous photo) Grade ???

Take a guess what these grades are.

…………………………………………………………………………………….

The 22 No D (1st image) is PCGS Grade VF25
    The 2nd coin is PCGS Photograde G06
    The 3rd Coin is PCGS Photograde G08

This is just an example of the kind of overgrading I have recently observed, for the "rarer" or more sought after, coins.

Nuff said!

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  21. Moondog

Moondog New Member

By the way, here is the VF25 from PCGS Photograde

Photograde VF25.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted