Interesting Find From Circulation

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GaryBurke, Dec 26, 2004.

1. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

Since I'm new to this forum, I hope it's not presumptuous of me to start a thread.

The "Interesting Find" from the Coin World forum had thousands of hits and hundreds of posts. I think it was started by Coin Nut.

Anyway, if this falls flat, at least I gave it a shot.

If it succeeds like the one on CW forum did, and proves popular, that's great.

To start the ball rolling, I offer my finds from the past week.

Have been going through Lincoln Cents, trying to add to my collection.

Best two finds were 1928D and 1940D. Both AG I would think.

I hope others will find it possible to share their finds.

:) :) :) :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

I only search nickel rolls.
    Today I found a 1939, a 1941, several from the '50's, and many uncirculated examples from the last few years of issue.

4. ernie11

ernie11 Member

This was a find from last year - a 1913 cent in change. I did a triple-take, as I'd never found a coin in change 90 years old before.

5. sylvester

sylvester New Member

I got a very nice lustrous 1980 2p in circulation a few months back as well as a pair of near full lustre 1986 pennies. Odd cos not many bronze coins dated prior to 2000 have any significant lustre left. The '86s haven't seen much circulation since the 80s by the looks of them.

6. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Last year I was on a military trip and I stopped at bank to get some half dollars. A friend of mine told me he used to do the same thing when he was younger back in the 70's. I talked him in to getting a roll also and of course, he found the better coins in his roll. I did find two 1998-s clad proof halves still in nice shape. But he found a 1999-s silver proof half in his roll. It was beat up a little but still a rare roll find. I'm not really surprised anymore with 40% silver halves. Its the 90% halves and the proofs that keep me looking. (I also keep holed Kennedy's but those are even harder to find :) )

7. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

The best I've done fairly recently is a 1926 Lincoln (roughly VF and very nice/problem-free) several months ago.

8. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

First of all, Gary, everyone is welcome to start new threads and you chose a very interesting one to start. We want the new members to be just as active as the members who have been here for a while. Thanks for starting this.

My find was a 1962 Roosevelt proof dime given in change at a convenience store. Surprisingly, it didn't even have any scratches on it. It looked like it had just come out of a proof set. I also still find the occasional wheat cent.

9. digger

digger New Member

I found a 1938 D, a 1939, and 1942 S Nickels, and a 1990 D penny Doubled reverse in the past couple days. I will post a picture soon in a new thread to get opinions on that one. The nickels were all in good enough condition (probably fine) and were needed to fill my jefferson collection. Still have a ways to go though!

10. the_highlander

the_highlander New Member

i got a great 1899 3 pence and a nice 1836 sixpence, as well as other nice coins.

i got a job lot of 1826-1910, 58 coins in total off of usa ebay that i paid for including the postage to the uk less than bullion value.very delighted.

also got delivered a full run of sixpences from 1902-1966 which is near the full 1900s set, quite a few are in poor condition though but there are a few nice ones including a unc 1952 . all for 14 pound with postage included ya just cant complain at that bargain.

quite a decent set for someone to start with them add in better conditions when they get them.

11. tonphil1960

tonphil1960 Senior Member

Change

I got a 1990's $2 dollar bill which I hadn't seen any of for a long time.

Tony......

12. jody526

jody526 New Member

I just found a '69-S with full mint luster and not a trace of wear. :cool:

Typical weak strike, but very few bag marks.

Right now, I'm a happy man. :D

13. Metalman

Metalman New Member

1950 canadian cent I dont know how to grade canadian cents but by US standards it is VF,

several wheaties,1936-S , 1946-D,2-1958-D's,

as well as a few errors 1980-D with a die crack across the date as well as a filled upper loop on the 8
    1982-D with a large break off the upper right corner of memorial to rim,

Update: I found two indian head cents Saturday 01/02/05 first finds of the New Year !! both in the same roll of pennies.

14. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

I found a a wheatie yesterday. Can't tell what date, as the entire obverse is covered in crud!!

15. Cu101

Cu101 Member

Last week my son gave me an 1891 Indian Head cent, He found in circulation.

16. pawjtr

pawjtr New Member

great finds, keep searching!!!!!

17. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

As one of the immigrants from the soon to be defunct CW forum, I'm happy to have a whole lot of new people to whom I can tell my stories (they're all true, I swear!).

Anyway, my most recent find is unexciting, but I hadn't found anything in a long while. It's a 1951D Wheat Cent.

18. the_highlander

the_highlander New Member

heck sorry posted wrong thread here ignore what i pt above

19. Kyra

Kyra New Member

Finally something worth reporting here! I had been going through a serious dry spell. :( I found a handful of wheat cents while bagging up the coin for deposit today, most of the dates were fairly common but I did find a 1929 in pretty decent shape.

I've been asked by some members to share some of what I've found in my time working at the bank. I'm working on it, but I'm quickly finding out that a comprehensive list will be huge! So, I'll be posting a condensed version someday soon. :cool:

Howdy KLJ! Good to see ya here!

Rachel :p

20. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

Hey thanks, it's good to be loved. I can't wait to hear your report, as I know you've found some wild stuff.

There is still stuff out there to be had. Those from the CW forum will now roll their eyes, but I'll give a brief list from the top of my head of the things my wife and I have found in circulation in the last 10 years. Steel cents, Buffalo nickels (with dates!), Barber and Mercury dimes, and a 1 ounce platinum. When she was working at a gas station, she even had a teenage kid try to spend a $1 gold piece. She knew his father was a collector however, so she took the coin for face value and returned it to dad for face value so he could discipline the lad.

21. pawjtr

pawjtr New Member

KLJ, your wife is a very honest woman, welcome and keep posting!

Draft saved Draft deleted