interesting error... help appreciated.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bryantallard, Jul 22, 2018.

1. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

0 (1).jpg 0 (2).jpg 1 (1).jpg 1 (2).jpg these are the only photos I have to work with. some in a FB group found this while searching. another member and I are trying to help the OP member. I took a shot in the dark as a "rolling indentation".
    http://www.error-ref.com/rolling-mill-errors-rolling-indentation/
    I doubt I nailed it right...but am I in the right ballpark?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I see damage, not an error.

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It looks like a strike-through error, but it's not. If it was something, like a piece of electrical wire, you wouldn't see the date or mintmark inside of the crater.

5. Pickin and Grinin

See how the coin has been expanded, ( not round anymore)
    In the affected area? This can't happen at the mint.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  6. bryantallard

if something were pressed into the coin why does the 2nd 9 in the recessed area look raised? wouldn't it be flattened out? wouldn't there be some evidence on the reverse of that metal being pushed back? crazy question... could it possibly be a lamination?

7. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Looks like someone put a small screw on top and hammered pressure on to it.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Because it pushed down with equal force, but not the tons used to strike the coin. I have a private mint and have seen this in striking over existing coins. You can always see ghosting, or unpressed areas.

9. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

Vise job ! JMO

10. bryantallard

ok if its damage its damage... can't win them all. so whatever happened to the obv, the rev is a result of that damage?

11. Newbie69

Something was placed on the obverse side of coin b/t the coin and vise. First thing you have to realize is the fact that it's out of round (expanded) your type of damage could not happen during the minting process as @Pickin and Grinin said previously. I think a study of the minting process would help you understand this as it has for me. Happy Hunting.

12. JCro57

Looks like the shape of a screw

13. Newbie69

Let's just say for fun this is just a planchet error like your thinking here. The incused area would not have received the 9 and 4 as your coin has.

14. bryantallard

thank you all. I very much appreciate your help. wanted to make sure the individual didn't spend a keeper. another question if I may... if the 2nd half of the date and MM were NOT visible but the void on the obv looked the same would THAT be a rolling indent? or could it be a variety of things?

15. JCro57

Strike through

bryantallard likes this.
  16. bryantallard

how would I be able tell the difference between a strike through and this? 72580942[1].jpg

17. Newbie69

You wouldn't see the second half of a date there it's on the other side. lol

18. Pickin and Grinin

I think I stated it much earlier in this thread, The coin above still fits into a collar. The coin in question does not, IF someone can tell me how this could have happened at the mint. I am all ears.

Newbie69 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted