Interesting Elagabalus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Steven Michael Gardner, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Steven Michael Gardner

Steven Michael Gardner Well-Known Member

This coin is troubling me somewhat, I seem to be very sure about most all aspects
    of this coin however I have not been successful locating a known reference & example, I've found everything close but there is always something off, I have found several that have a wheel at the foot Tyche which mine does not, and seems to be the main problem, so if someone can locate a reference on this coin I might be happier than I am right at the moment..??

Here is what I have so far:
    Type: Roman Provincial
    Region: MOESIA INFERIOR
    City: Marcianopolis
    Issuer: Elagabalus
    Date Ruled: A.D. 218-222
    Metal: Bronze
    Obverse Legend: AVTKMAVP ANTΩNEINOC
    Obverse Description: Laureate head right
    Reverse Legend: MARKIANO -ΠOΛITΩN
    Reverse Description: Tyche left holding scales and cornucopia
    20mm / 4.3gm
    Reference: ???
    Elagabalus.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

4. Steven Michael Gardner

Well Dacian, you are quick on the draw again for me...! Thanks.
    I had checked Wildwinds and I must say I did miss finding your search,
    thanks again!

ambr0zie likes this.
  5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

You're welcome!
    You did 99% of the work for this coin. My strategy for these is to investigate all the clues in the coin and if something doesn't seem right, eliminate one by one.
    In this case, the city is definitely Marcianopolis. Emperor - Elagabalus, the legend and the portrait fit. Now all that remained is the reverse where the image looks like Tyche but in fact it isn't. So just investigate the obvious - scales and cornucopiae, no other symbols, no letters in field....
    If no match is found, this means that:
    - the coin is not catalogued at all
    - the coin is too worn to identify
    - one of the assumptions is wrong.
    Here is an example where I was not able to attribute at all.
    upload_2021-7-27_10-39-13.png

Antoninus Pius? Marcus Aurelius?

Tyche? Curule? something in right hand, perhaps patera? left hand leaning on the chair? crossed legs?

I couldn't find a clear match and the wear of the coin doesn't help at all.
    Yesterday I decided to centralize my collection in an Excel file, this seemed like a good idea but actually doing it is a different story. Had a look again.
    One that seems to fit, but the style is completely different, is
    https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/6616
    Is it this coin? I don't think so.

P.S. my name is not Dacian :) I live in a territory that was once Dacia and "Taraboste" is how the Romans called the Dacian nobles.

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Dikaiosyne (Aequitas), not Tyche (Fortuna), has scales and cornucopiae. That's AMNG I-1, 905.

Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG

7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A die match to OP’s coin?

8. Steven Michael Gardner

How does one KNOW the image representing the individual Dikaiosyne (Aequitas)
    is not representing a different deity?
    Does it indicate the deity name in the encircling lettering somewhere?
    Is Dikaiosyne (Aequitas) the only deity that holds scales and cornucopiae??
    What is it exactly that makes this coin deity image that of Dikaiosyne (Aequitas)???

My assumption of it being Tyche (Fortuna) was the castle type crown it wears, I realize now it was inexperianced of me to assume anything unless one knows for sure...

9. Steven Michael Gardner

Yes, I had that idea when I copied your name in the message, then I thought,
    that's am interesting name to have being in the historical coin game...?
    Then again, you did not give me your real name, so I will continue to call you
    Dacian, as it seems to get me a quick responses to search questions....;)

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Each deity is depicted with a unique combination of attributes. Fortuna/Tyche most commonly holds a rudder and cornucopiae, though sometimes other objects. often she is depicted with a wheel (wheel of fortune) at her side. Dikaiosyne/Aequitas (meaning "justice, righteousness, fairness" holds a set of scales (think "Lady Justice") and cornucopiae, or a measuring rod (pertica), patera and branch. Sometimes deities exhibit syncretism between their attributes, in which case they are usually referred to as compound deities, such as Nemesis-Dikaiosyne (female figure with the wheel of Nemesis and scales of Dikaiosyne), Nemesis-Homonoia (female figure with the cubit rule and wheel of Nemesis and the cornucopiae of Homonoia), etc.

It can be difficult for those just starting in the hobby to know these figures, particularly if they don't know Greek or Latin (the names of these personifications are simply the Greek or Latin words for the concept being personified). Their attributes are covered in the introductions of standard references, such as the books by David Vagi or David Sear.

Spaniard and PeteB like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

12. Steven Michael Gardner

This is quite helpful, I somewhat had the idea that this was the case but then again I have come across a few deities with a patera or branch or cornucopiae
    so in this respect it can get confusing, my memory is not exactly the best for retaining tidbits such as this but it comes with time..Thank you!

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. Steven Michael Gardner

Draft saved Draft deleted