Interesting color/toning on new $2 1/2 Indian purchase

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, May 27, 2016.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

You know I am a sucker for interesting color/toning on these. This one has a unique look, and I like it.
    jw1.jpg jw2.jpg jw3.jpg jw4.jpg jw5.jpg jw6.jpg jw7.jpg jw8.jpg

McBlzr, Jdiablo30, NSP and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I wonder if it's the gold version of a woody?

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

This is USUALLY what happens when the chemical alteration starts to turn...just saying. Oh, and that's just IMO.

PS If you like color on Indians, there are a lot of these coins in slabs with attractive blue haze out there - also alterations. :jawdrop:

Don't try to get them upgraded though, I'll bet the "sniffer" will reject them.:joyful:

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Does he have to send the gold to a TPG for authentication?

9. Markus1959

Oh - I'm sure if he did PCGS will come up with a custom holder!!!
    Cast iron pots, glass beakers, mortar and pestles, etc. I'm sure they can encapsulate them all!!

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I kinda think so. :)

Similar reasons, I think - it can only acquire the color if the alloy cake mix wasn't completely stirred. :)

11. Markus1959

Wondering - then it is truly 90% gold?

12. jwitten

I've thought it MIGHT be from having putty on it at some point.. but who knows. Some might view this look as a problem.. but I have not seen many like it, so I call it unique, lol.

Insider likes this.
  13. Insider

Gold coins very, very, very rarely have alloy mixture problems similar to what we all call "woodies" on copper (I don't ever recall seeing one yet they must exist). WAIT: :facepalm::blackeye: ALL THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION.

IMO, the OP's coin is STAINED. Whatever was put on its surface either by serendipity or by a coin doctor has discolored it. What we tend to see on gold (IMO) are copper spots, copper streaks (oxidize black) that turn pink when dipped, or struck thru's of various contaminants.

The coin is a genuine .900 fine gold coin. Also IMO.:)

You are correct. I've been told by TPGS graders that coins like this have been treated with a certain Antiseptic. Any collector with a raw gold coin that wants something "unique" like this one can just paint it on and drool over it. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::rolleyes:

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I actually thought about this for an hour or two before replying. I bet it passes muster at total weight, but I wouldn't want to read too much into individual XRF readings at given points on the surface. :)

15. Insider

o_O:facepalm:

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow! Yeah I saw that one on ebay, I think Elizabeth Coins or I'm not sure of the companies name but their sales always end high. Good company to do business with.
    thumbupp.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted