Interesting Boeotia coin overstruck on Macedonian coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

In ca. 220s BC the Boeotian league issued bronze coins with Demeter facing on the obverse and Poseidon on the reverse. The coin I obtained is of quite poor state, but I still find it very interesting. The coin seems to be overstruck on a bronze coin of Antigonos II Gonatas, the type with the head of Herakles on the obverse and a naked rider on the reverse.

[​IMG]
    Boeotia, Federal Coinage. AE coin (Ca. 220s B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Wreathed head of Demeter or Kore (Persephone) facing slightly right.
    Reverse: BOIOTΩN; Poseidon, naked, standing left, resting right foot on rock and leaning on trident.

It is supposed to represent this type:
    [​IMG]
    Boeotia, Federal Coinage. Circa 220s BC. Æ (18mm, 4.40 g, 6h). Wreathed head of Demeter or Kore (Persephone) facing slightly right / Poseidon standing left, resting foot on rock and leaning on trident. BCD Boiotia 100; HGC 4, 1182.

And it is overstruck on this type of Antigonos II Gonatas:
    [​IMG]
    Antigonos II Gonatas. 277/6-239 BC. Æ Unit. Uncertain Macedonian mint. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Rider on horseback right; wreath before. SNG Alpha Bank 993.

There are two theories why the coin was overstruck:

1st theory: Two thousand Boiotian infantry and two hunderd cavalry are known to have fought at the side of Antigonos Doson in the Alliance war of 224/23 BC against Kleomenes III, which ended with the Battle of Sellasia in 222 BC. The initial refusal of the Boiotian League to take part in the conflict, even though they had to participate due to their alliance, would obviously have forced Doson to offer the Boiotians money in order to change their minds. Macedonian coins which had been withdrawn from circulation would therefore have been overstruck by the Boitoians, on Doson’s orders, with their own types and put back in circulation.

[​IMG]

Or the 2nd theory:
    In 224/3 BC, Attic issues were overstruck which was associated with the final liberation of Athens from Macedonian control in 224/3 BC. In this way the city expressed its political protest against the Antigonids.
    Macedonian coins in circulation in Boiotia during the reign of Antigonos Gonatas or Demetrios II, who captured it in 236 BC, were overstruck with Boiotian types after the death of Demetrios in 229 BC when anti-Macedonian feeling would have found suitable ground to grow. The fact that the Boiotians did not begin overstriking Macedonian coins until after 229 BC and not immediately after the withdrawal of the Macedonian armies of occupation from the Acropolis in Thebes (256 BC), coincides exactly with what happened in Athens.

Post your coins from the Boiotian League and from Antigonos II Gonatas/Antigonos III Doson!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Orielensis, David@PCC, Bing and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, I happen to have found exactly the same thing in a group lot recently! Great writeup, I wasn't aware of the two theories, only the first one.

It's hard to make out Demeter on mine too. Here's the Boiotian League orientation:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 4.53.24 PM.jpg

And here's the Antigonos Gonatas orientation, with a clear lion's mane on Herakles and a clear horse:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 4.53.41 PM.jpg

Orielensis, Pavlos, Bing and 8 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Cool coin and nice writeup!

Gonatas:
    AntigonosGonatasTet-RT.jpg
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Antigonos II Gonatas
    277/6-239 BCE, struck after 270 BCE, Amphipolis mint
    AR tetradrachm, 31mm, 17.06 g
    Obv: head of Pan in center of Macedonian shield, lagobolon over shoulder; shield decorated with stars within crescents
    Rev: BASILEWS ANTIGONOU, Athena Alkidemos walking left, brandishing thunderbolt and shield; helmet left, EMP monogram right
    Ref: SNGCop 1200v, EMP (maybe); R. Martin, "A Third-Century B.C. Hoard from Thessaly at the ANS," ANSMN 26, 536 (same obv. die).
    ex Demetrios Armounta Collection

Doson:
    [​IMG]
    KINGS of MACEDON. Antigonos III Doson, 229-221 BCE
    struck 227-225 BCE, Amphipolis mint?
    AR tetradrachm, 32 mm, 17.1 gm
    Obv: wreathed head of Poseidon right
    Rev: Apollo seated left on prow left, holding bow; monogram below.
    Ref: Panagopoulou 50–3 var. (unlisted dies); EHC 436; Touratsoglou 52–3; SNG Saroglos 933; SNG Alpha Bank 1046; SNG Ashmolean 3266

Andres2, Nemo, PeteB and 11 others like this.
  5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Awesome, wouldn't have expected someone here having one. Yours is a win win showing both poseidon and the horse.

As usual, two amazing looking coins! Thanks for sharing.

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted