Interesting Augustus Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I just won this set of Augustus from the CNG auction. I has never seen this type before. CNG had several of these for Augustus and so I made it a goal to grab one. This coin was part of the Michel Prieur collection and I have always wanted at least one from his collection of provincial coins. In particular, I like the style of the Antioch coins. I also like the fact that this coin was purchased by Michel Prieur from Richard McAlee. In fact, this coin is illustrated in "The coins of Roman Antioch". This coin will have special place in my provincial 12 Caesars set.

lot 272 cng aug.jpg

SELEUCIS and PIERIA, Antioch. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Tetradrachm
    (27mm, 14.56 g, 12h). In the name and types of the Seleucid king Philip I Philadelphus. Dated year 26 of the Caesarean Era (24/23 BC).
    Obv: Diademed head of Philip I right within fillet border
    Rev: Zeus Nicephorus seated left; monogram to inner left and below throne, ςK (date) and thunderbolt in exergue; all within wreath.
    Prieur 19; McAlee 19 (this coin illustrated); RPC I 4142; SC 2491.16; HGC 9, 1360p. Toned, some porosity and surface striations. Fine. Rare, seven known to Prieur, and two in CoinArchives.
    From the Michel Prieur Collection, purchased privately from Richard McAlee.
    CNG E-Auction 451 Lot 272 September 4, 2019

TIF, randygeki, Jwt708 and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's a great provenance. I only have a lifetime issue of Philip.
    g252.jpg
    Philip I
    88 to 87 BC
    Mint: Antioch
    AR Tetradrachm
    Obvs: Diademed head of Philip right within fillet border.
    Revs: BAΣIΔEΩΣ ΦIΛIΠΠOY to right, EΠIΦANOYΣ ΦIΛAΔEΛΦOY to left. Zeus enthroned holding Nike and scepter.
    24x25mm, 15.96g
    SC 2463.2a

TIF, randygeki, Jwt708 and 9 others like this.
  4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Amazing coin - great pick up for sure..
    So this is posthumous issue of Phillip I, struck when Augustus was in power.. is this correct and is this why Augustus is named in the attribution?

5. Orfew

I assume so @Clavdivs but I do not know much about this series.

All I knew was that I liked the coin.

Clavdivs likes this.
  6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Posthumous issues of Philip were made well after his death and the end of the Seleucid empire. The last being struck in 13 BC (I may have to verify that). I assume that the issue was continued because the locals were familiar with the design? The later imitations were a massive output with the OP having 24 or more variations over 34 years. What is interesting to contemplate is whether Phillip II actually minted any.

So coinage with Philip's image lasted an incredible 81 years despite being an unremarkable ruler.

Clavdivs, Orfew and Pavlos like this.
  7. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Very nice Augustus tetradrachm in the name and types of Philip I, with a great provenance and it is even a plate coin, and for that price, what a big win-win!

This is my lifetime issue of Philip I, minted in Cilicia, rather than Antioch.
    [​IMG]
    Philip I Philadelphos (95 -75 B.C.) AR Tetradrachm. Uncertain mint 128 in Cilicia, most likely Tarsos, 88/7 - 76/5 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Philip I right.
    Reverse: Zeus seated left on throne, holding Nike and sceptre, laurel wreath border, ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ to right, ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΑΔΕΛΦΟΥ (“of King Philip, the Illustrious, Brother-Loving”) to left; two monograms to inner left and below throne, AN in exergue; all within laurel wreath.
    Reference: SC 2461.3; HGC 9, 1317.

Nicely explained @David@PCC, and interesting that you mention Philip II could have issued coins. I totally agree this is a possibility, especially when looking at the so called 'post humous' (69-57 BC) issues. The portraits on these issue are very different from both the lifetime issues and the later Roman issues. The portraits of the later Roman issues look more like the portrait on the lifetime issues rather than the post humous issues.

See an example of a post humous issue below (not mine) for comparison to my coin/@David@PCC life time issues and @Orfew Roman issue.

[​IMG]

The nickname of Philip II was Barypous (Βαρύπους), meaning "Heavy-foot" or "Thick-foot". This could explain the above looking portrait. It looks like someone with goitre (swelling in the neck resulting from an enlarged thyroid gland), and it seems even bulging eyes. This is easily explained because of all the incest that was happening in the Seleukid dynasty, causing Graves' disease, which causes thyroid problems and eye swelling. Graves' disease also causes edema, which explains his nickname "heavy-foot", since edema (swelling caused by abnormal accumulation of fluid), mostly happens in the feet/lower legs (because of gravity).
    So in other words, I think the so called "post humous" issues between the lifetime and Roman issues are actually from Philip II. It would be very interesting if this hypothesis could ever be researched.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    TIF, randygeki, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  8. Orfew

@David@PCC

Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

@Pavlos

Thanks very much for the kind words and for the great writeup.

9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Roman Province of Syria Aulus Galbinus Ar Tetradrachm In the name and types of Philip Philadelphos RPC 4124 Price 1 57-55 B.C. 15.37 grms romansyria4.JPG

TIF, randygeki, cmezner and 6 others like this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Neat, I didn't know they did these for Augustus.

Here is my standard Philip I.

[​IMG]

SELEUKID KINGS OF SYRIA. Philip I Philadelphos, 95-83 BC. Tetradrachm. Antioch.

O: Diademed head right. R: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ ΕΠIΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦIΛΑΔΕΛΦΟΥ. Zeus seated left with Nike and sceptre: Control: monogram. SNG Israel 2799. Condition: Very fine. Weight: 15.7g. Diameter: 26 mm.

TIF, Johndakerftw, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  11. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Philip Philadelphos Ar tetradrachm Antioch Rv Zeus Nikephoros enthroned left holding Nike in outstretched right hand. SC 2463/2i HGC 1319 88/7-76/5 B.C. 15.82 grms 26 mm SKphilipphil4.jpg

TIF, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  12. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Beautiful examples here - nice choice @Orfew !

13. Orfew

Many thanks @Clavdivs

Clavdivs likes this.
  14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice!

Clavdivs likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted