Interesting Anthony with Ancient and 20th Century History

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carthago, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I recently acquired this rather scarce and interesting coin which came with some great old collector tags. The sale had a forward about the Stoecklin Father and Son who were the most recent owners (before me). The son died in 1981, I believe, and the family must be finally getting around to getting rid of his coins.

Anyway, the tags are priceless to me. One of the Stoecklin's bought the coin in the famous Munzen und Medaillen sale of Dr. August Voirol's collection in 1968. It's really a great sale with nice RR coins and I own a few pieces from it. This is the first time I've received tags from pre 1970's sales, and vanity tags at that made especially for the collectors (which is cool!). Deciphering the handwriting on the back of one of Dr. Voirol's tag one can see he purchased it from Munzen und Medaillen himself in June, 1958 for 375 Swiss Francs! Talk about having a nice trail to follow! I still haven't given up on finding if there is anything published by MuM on this coin into the 1950's but I'm thinking it was a retail purchase.

Tracking down possible prior provenances is a large part of my collecting enjoyment. Having the original collectors' tags really connects me to them and I can see the passion and pride they took in their coins, just like we all do. I will make certain these and every tag I have will someday make it forward to the next generation to caretake these coins.

Mark Antony, April-May 44 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.92g 9h), with P. Sepullius Macer, Rome. CLEMENTIAE CAESARIS Tetrastyle temple with closed doors and a globe in the pediment. Rev. P.SEPVLLIVS / MACER Desultor, wearing a conical cap and holding whip, riding a horse galloping to right with another beside him; to left, wreath and palm branch. Alföldi XXII, 86. Babelon (Julia) 52, (Sepullia) 7. Crawford 480/21. CRI 110. Sydenham 1076.

Current Picture:

Marc Antony & P Sepullius Macer 480-21 Nomos 2017.jpg

MuM 1968 Voirol catalogue pic:

Marc Antony & P Sepullius Macer 480-21 MuM Voirol 1968.jpg

Tickets Obv and Reverse:

IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2490.jpg

Anyone else have some cool old collector tickets? I'm looking for a Haeberlin if they exist.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Marvelous coin and provenance.

I only have a couple with old tags, but I do not know the dates of the tags

Gordian III 12.jpg Gordian III ID.jpg Gordian III IDa.jpg

and this one I only have an image of the front so I will have to get it out and take more photos

Trajan Decius 5.jpg Trajan Decius 5a.JPG

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Exceptional!!

Carthago likes this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Just ..... Wow !

Q

Carthago likes this.
  6. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

This is so cool! I thought Voirol might have got it from an M&M FPL. I checked everything from June 1957 - June 1958, even the un-illustrated lots, but no luck. Guess they just gave him a call (they did have telephones then, right!?)

I have a nice, beautifully handwritten Boyd Collection ticket from around the turn of the 20th Century. I have Benz's tickets on my coins from his collection, but frankly they're nothing special; neither pretty nor informative. Some are just scrawled on scraps of paper that look like they were cut from used envelopes. They do fit in my trays though, unlike most, so they get to live with my coins.

The best tickets I've ever seen are from Dick Schaefer's Goodman Collection coins. They add all sorts of insightful observations on the early denarii, stuff not published anywhere since his coins were sold before the days when prominent collectors collaborate in the production of the catalogue, adding observations and anecdotes.

I've never seen a Haeberlin ticket. I don't think they were saved, but then again, I'd never seen a Voirol ticket until now so who knows really.

I don't have a picture of the Boyd ticket, but what the heck, here's the coin:

upload_2017-6-24_15-41-30.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Carthago
    That is a great coin! Congratulations on a superb acquisition

Carthago likes this.
  8. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

really kool! vintage history + pieces with the ancient coins!

Carthago likes this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Lovely coin with a fantastic provenance! Proof that old tags are important.

Carthago likes this.
  10. Carthago

I've got a couple Goodman and Benz coins but the tickets haven't made it with the coins. With the ever increasing specter of provenances become mandatory in our hobby making sure that tickets follow the coin really needs to be a best practice.

And that Boyd coin...wow!

Carausius, rrdenarius and Volodya like this.
  11. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I have one more thought about your coin. The M&M FPL for May 1958, Liste 179, does contain a run of Roman coins with architectural types, clearly a single collection. Your coin isn't there, even among the un-illustrated lots, but I think there's a very very good chance it's part of the same collection. We'll never know for sure and can only guess as to why it might have been omitted, but if I had to bet that's they way I'd go. It's maybe worth noting on your ticket as a surmise.

Carausius, red_spork and Carthago like this.
  12. Carthago

Thanks big V! That's a great head start. I've got most of the MuM FPL's in my library but I've been traveling and haven't been able to research. I bet you are right and noting Dr Voirol's drawing of the temple maybe plays into it.

Carausius and Volodya like this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I don't have any coins with tags that date prior to the dealer/auction house I got them from. :( But some of my coins have pretty impressive provenances.

Carthago likes this.
  14. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Goodman's tickets are some of my favorites because he drew out the symbols and tends to have interesting notes about the coins on them. Here are a couple of my "provenance" files with their associated coins:

cr118.4Provenance.jpeg
    Cr118.4.jpg

Cr137.6Provenance.jpeg
    Cr137.6combined.JPG

Mikey Zee, Andres2, Eduard and 13 others like this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice provenance on the OP!

The oldest tag I have is this 44-year-old dealer tag, recording a purchase made in March, 1973:

Maesa tag jpeg.jpg

Here's the coin:
    Maesa Pietas Sestertius.jpg
    Julia Maesa, Augusta AD 218-225
    Roman Orichalcum Sestertius; 21.28 gm; 29.2 mm
    Rome mint, AD 218-220
    Obv: IVLIA MAESA AVGVSTA, diademed and draped bust, r.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG SC, Pietas standing l., sacrificing over altar and holding incense box.
    Refs: RIC 414; Cohen 31; BMCRE 389; Sear 7763; Thirion 408

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats very cool!

IMG_2481.JPG

Mikey Zee, Andres2, David@PCC and 9 others like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow that's a great coin, and the Voirol tags are fantastic!

I've always enjoyed the goodies that come with BCD's coins. This one also came with his tags and little Polaroids of both sides of the coin.

IMG_8512.JPG
    IMG_8513.JPG

18. Carthago

That's really cool! I haven't seen that of his coins before. Very special, Zum!

zumbly likes this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I recall him saying that he painstakingly did these little Polaroid cut outs for most or all of his AR coins, but not every BCD silver I've bought has come with them. It's sad to think about all the cool old collectors tags and envelopes that have been discarded simply because some dealers and auction houses don't find them convenient to handle and pass along to the new owners.

Carausius likes this.
  20. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Interesting group of coins and tickets Red. I presume the first two are also ex RBW, as they have his typical envelope and information. The first "Goodman" tag has an interesting reference to Santamaria (in ligature) 88 54. Santamaria is an auction house/dealer in Rome. This might be acquisition info, or it might be a hoard reference.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Carthago likes this.
  21. Carthago

Good eye on the Santamaria ligature reference! A great clue...

Carausius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted