Interesting 1962 Proof Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I bought a lot of sealed proof sets in an online estate sale. Most of them were rather ordinary, and I sold all but two of them. This one was quite attractive to me, because of the Cellophane toning on the Franklin.

990BD75D-43BB-4BAB-91C6-D7B740144FA8.jpeg 97499041-E501-4CEA-B8E8-DF63E366A353.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Nice! ;) So are you leaving it in the cello for more toning or are you gonna be pulling it out soon?

capthank likes this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I wonder why the half toned, but the quarter and dime didn't? Think there may be a tiny pinhole in that segment?

manny9655, capthank and Stevearino like this.
  5. Morgandude11

Nope. No holes. The proof set was sealed in the envelope. This happens reasonably often. The nickel is also toned, but less so. Cellophane toning is common in late 1950s-1960s proof sets.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  6. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

The size of a germ?

7. Morgandude11

If so, then it is natural toning. :)

DarkRage666 likes this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

nice toning/ common on proof sets form the 50's and 60's but this is better.

capthank and Morgandude11 like this.
  9. Dialupsux

Dialupsux Well-Known Member

If we can clone that toning germ we'll all be rich!! -( maniacal laughing and clawing at air )

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There doesn't need to be one - the pliofilm itself is air permeable.

That said, asking why one coin tones while others (in the same package) don't is a reasonable question. The answer however is - nobody really knows. What we do know is it is beyond extremely common for one or more coins to tone while others don't. Same thing happens in albums, flips, slabs, Air-Tites, etc etc.

There is much speculation as to why it happens, but that's all it is, speculation because nobody actually knows with any degree of certainty.

erscolo, Kentucky, Dima and 3 others like this.
  11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Besides the "pin hole" possibility, I see a second possibility.
    During the sealing process a small piece of something got caught up in the process.
    That "small piece of something" reacted with the coining metal.

12. GDJMSP

Yup, it can happen, it has happened. But typically when that does happen the resulting toning usually occurs in small areas, and very seldom if ever over the entire coin, let lone both sides of the entire coin.

But, depending on what that small piece of something was, it's possible - but not really probable.

capthank and kountryken like this.
  13. Morgandude11

Are you suggesting that it is artificially toned? In sealed cellophane, inside a sealed mint envelope?

14. GDJMSP

Nope, not in any way. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm merely pointing out that since air can pass right through pliofilm, just like it does with almost all plastics, no pinhole is even required for completely natural toning to occur.

15. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Apparently you do not know GDJMSP; I do not think he was impling that at all.

16. Morgandude11

I have known Doug for 11 years. I was just asking if he thought it was AT. He and I have debated authenticity of toning for over a decade.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    capthank likes this.
  17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

GDJMSP, larger coin, larger bubble seal. Could more dust be a possible cause? Thanks in advance.

18. robec

robec Junior Member

This has happened to quite a few 1962 proof sets. I wonder if something was done differently to the coins this year, rinse or different brand of cello?

19. Morgandude11

To answer the previous poster, I think I don’t want it to sit in the bag much longer, and possibly turn blackish. It is a high grade proof, probably a 67 or 68, so, I am going to send in the whole proof set to NGC, and just have the Franklin slabbed (possibly the Jefferson also).

20. Dima

Dima Member

This past week I learned something new, which could be somewhat related to the toning question posted above. I believe I read it in 'A Guide Book of Franklin & Kennedy Half Dollars' by Rick Tomaska, but I can't seem to find the paragraph now that I'm looking for it.

Essentially, it was talking about Franklin proof sets and that at one point in 70s/80s, it wasn't all too uncommon for folks to find the "best" proof sets with cameo coins, cut em open, and then repurpose the original mint packaging with other, authentic (albeit, non-cameo) proof coins. I am not suggesting that this happened here, however, to answer the question "how can two coins in the same packaging tone so differently," it is hypothetically possible that this could've occurred. The passage went on to say that if you place a US mint-sealed proof set next to a resealed set, you should be able to identify the minute difference due to the sealing pattern in the cellophane.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. Morgandude11

I have seen proof sets that were repurposed like that. It is pretty obvious, as one can’t match the sealing without it looking obvious.

Dima likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted