Interesting 1943 P Nickel???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Justin Lee, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

My daughter and I were looking through her coin collection and she has a 1943 P nickel, but it feels light and seems to have a different type of metal underneath an outer layer where it is wearing away. I weighed it on my scale and it is 4.8g, but would that be due to wear? Is there anything special about this 1943 issue like there is with the steel penny?
    inCollage_20201106_201226351.jpg

I am not too familiar with modern US coins as I'm an Ancients collector. Any help would be appreciated!

Mr.Q and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

the 1943P is supposed to be 5 g but yours has some wear . It's also 56% copper, 35% Silver and 9% Manganese. Hope that helps.

Justin Lee likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It looks to have a bit of a lamination issue on the obverse which is incredibly common on war nickels. The rest of the coin I would attribute to wear. Welcome the world of modern coins ;)

5. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Lamination error/flawed planchet. Nice coin!

6. Randal234

Randal234 New Member

Is the 43 P nickel a valuable coin or not so much

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Wear and tear, lamination issue, it's a keeper. 2024 Red Book VF-20 grade gives it a $3.00 value and goes up in .50 cent increments through AU-50. Yours appears to be at or below the lower grade. You probably already knew this though.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

For the most part it is only valuable in high grade and with full steps.
    This is a wartime silver issue so it is more valuable in lower grades than coins before 42 and after 45.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

$1.37 in silver in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted