interested in testing a coin web site?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Jul 12, 2022.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

DM me if you are interested in helping test a coin web site. I spent an hour last week, via zoom, with a systems student testing (is it debugging if you find no errors?) the site shown below.

The Syrios Project (uh.edu)

Antioch in Syria KN 6.9.2022.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

From the brief look I gave it there appears to be a problem with the explore link. Sometimes is gives an error message for the page not being found. Also, on my laptop it looks good. But on my smartphone the page does not adapt for the smaller screen. Fix these and it will be an improvement.

4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I made a short exploration of the Syrios Project. Some suggestions/observations:

When Browsing items at https://sites.lib.uh.edu/kmneuma2/items/browse

The first two coins name the emperor, but several of the following ones use “of” which seems unnecessary. Consistency is important.

I did one search, obviously for Augustus, 31 Items were found. However, surprisingly some of the results were not coins, e.g. Damascus, Zeugma etc. which just tells me that the selection algorithm maybe needs some corrections.

Looking at this one
    https://sites.lib.uh.edu/kmneuma2/items/show/1710
    I see that the type description omits important details, e.g. radiate for the head of Augustus and laureate for Tiberius, details that in my opinion are important.

No weights are given for any of the coins of Augustus I looked at. Weight is so important

Missing space between ObverseType here https://sites.lib.uh.edu/kmneuma2/items/show/1704

and on some other entries. Consistency is important

What is the difference between the entry Date and From Date To Date ? Some are the same and some not, a reader must try to figure this out..

Some titles are confusing: e.g. ANTIOCH BRONZE COIN OF REPUBLIC TO AUGUSTUS
    I can guess what it means, but it looks strane and you can't have a user guessing, she/he will probably not like it.

Ok, I'll stop criticizing and tell you what I liked most, please don't take my critique badly.

I like every much the "Tell me a Story Tab" and the stories one can read. Really nice, congrats to the team.

5. Iepto

Iepto Active Member

If you refresh the sub-page, or directly link to the sub-page, it 404s. For example, go to https://syrios.uh.edu/select-story and it will not work.
    I have opinions on the web design, but those are opinions and not bugs so I will abstain from commenting on those.

6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

the first thing I noticed was the splash page needs cleaning up...lots of mess in the fields.

Antioch in Syria KN 6.9.2022.JPG

7. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

On my smartphone the catalog works ok but the website itself is basically unusable from what I experienced.

8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

The website works for me perfectly. Haven't tried it on my smartphone.Wondering why for some of you it doesn't:confused:

9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Possibly it is not responsive for some phones. When I wrote our website I made sure the testing was done on many search engines to ensure compatibility and consistency. Also that it resized itself depending on the phone or tablet being used.
    If the OP site was a template, often you have to create the pages in both formats, one for desk/laptops and then again for mobile view. Not all templates are automatically responsive.

Nicholas Molinari and cmezner like this.
  10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Thanks for your feedback. I made an error when I said The Syrios Project would be tested. I helped test Syrios last year. It is not complete, but not being tested.

The web site to be tested is FLAME. FLAME shows coin hoard locations on a map and lists items found. The site can sort data and allows downloading, see below, to a spreadsheet. A systems student called me by Zoom and asked me to test buttons (links) and look for stuff.
    coin hoards from Portugal FLAME.jpg

I sent the same note, as above, to lots of folks. The coordinating professor sent me the following note, oops.

Hi,
    Thanks for this! And for all your recruiting. That saves us for FLAME (what we will be doing testing on).
    And please let your friend know we are working hard to address these issues, but we always appreciate the feedback. After all, this site is for the public! The current live site is a rough draft, but we hope to launch our enhanced prototype this fall (which should address some of the scalability problems). ​

cmezner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted