Interested in Ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jwt708, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I heard Roman, Greek, and Carthaginian!

Here's some coins to look at:

[​IMG]
    Augustus Caesar, BC 27 - 14 AD
    AE, As, 9.5g, 27mm; 2h; Rome mint, BC 6
    Obv.:CAESAR AVGVSTVS PONT MAX TRIBVNIC POT; bare head right
    Rev.: A LICIN NERVA SILIAN IIIVIR AAAFF around large SC with dot between

[​IMG]
    Thessalian League, 2nd-1st BC
    AE, trichalkon, 20mm, 5.3g; 12h
    Obv.: Laureate head of Apollo right
    Rev.: ΘΕΣΣ / ΛΩΝ; Athena Itonia striding right, hurling spear held in her right hand, shield on her left arm; ΘΡΑ in right field above, owl in left

[​IMG]
    Carthaginians in Hispania
    AE 1/4 Calco, 1.5g, 13mm; mobile military mint, 218-208 BC.
    Obv.: Wreathed head of Tanit left.
    Rev.: Crested helmet left, with cheek guards.

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

I have no problem to part with a few for free..

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here are some very nice LRBs that did not break the bank:
    [​IMG]
    Constantine I, AD 306-337
    AE, Follis, 2.95g, 23mm; 6h; Alexandria
    Obv.: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; laureate (pearl diademed?) head right
    Rev.: PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; campgate with two turrets and star above, six rows, no doors
    In Ex.: SMALB

[​IMG]
    Constantius II
    AE, 2.76g, 17mm; 6h; Alexandria
    Obv.: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C; laureate cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IAEXERC-ITVS; two soldiers standing between two banners with dots, holding shield and spear
    In Ex.: SMALB

[​IMG]
    Constantine II, AD 317-340
    AE, follis, 15.5mm, 2.65g; 6h; Lugdunum
    Obv.: CONSTANTINVS I[V]N NOB C; laureate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-AI EXERC-ITVS; two soldiers hoding spears and shields with two standards between them; standards with Os on banner
    In Ex.: SLC

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, Bing and 2 others like this.
  5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Welcome to the dark side of coin collecting. :D

Collecting ancients are pretty fun, you can get ones as cheap or as expensive as you want. Lots of resources to read up on here and online.

As far as buying goes, start off cheap and familiarize yourself with how they look. The design, portrait, texture and all those things can help you ID a coin and help you determine if its a counterfeit. Also, don't start buying from eBay until you get to know which sellers you can trust. Sites like VCoins are great as most sellers are trustworthy and you can filter your searches more specifically. As your collection and bank account grows you can look into CNG Auctions and other online sites.

A few ancient collectors here also sell coins here and online. They have some really nice affordable coins. Hang out a bit and don't get too tempted into buying everything you see here, have fun.

Hispanicus likes this.
  6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Well, you didnt mention a budget, so all these comments will be all over the place! If one is on a budget, as already posted, there are plenty of mid to late Roman coins that are quite superb and can be had for $10 and up. It may take some time to find the bargains, but it can be done. If budget is not so much of a problem maybe focus on those times of history which interests you, or emperors, gods, goddesses, etc. With ancient coins there is an infinite way in which you can collect. From the focused to the random. One will never regret ancient coins if they are collecting them for the history and connection to the past which they represent. Oh, also, please, please, be sure to put part of your budget into books. They can give one so much more than just searching through websites (content of which often is wrong!).

Give us some hints. I have a bag of coins which I intend to give away (was holding them for Christmas, but why not early?). Give me some ideas and I can send a nice coin your way. If in the next few days I can send one off, but I will be on vacation for a week very soon!

dlhill132 and Jwt708 like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Man - tons of generosity in this thread! Ancient coin collectors are the best!

Johndakerftw likes this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

When I was starting out, @Bing and @John Anthony we're kind enough to gift me this coin:
    [​IMG]
    Constantine I, AD 309 - 337
    AE3, 2.5g, 19mm; 1h; Siscia mint, AD 328-329
    Obv.: CO[NST]AN-TIN[V]S AVG, diademed head right
    Rev.: PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, campgate with two turretts, star above, 9 brick rows with dots in top row
    In Ex.: ΓSTS (crescent)

I need to reshoot it, this black beauty needs more light.

dlhill132, icerain, TIF and 3 others like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I put a little light in your image @Jwt708
    JWT 17 Constantine Ia.jpg

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ancient coin collectors are wonderful people...most coin collectors are wonderful people.

Jwt708 likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is one of the most popular areas of specialty and it is easy to find information about these years. Try to learn as much as you can about all periods from the coin issuing period (lets say 500 BC to 500 AD) and lands from England to Asia. You might find other things equally interesting and be able to be as well informed on them as any of us.
    Budget is often a question. Below are three coins that might sell for about the same price. One is from the popular Republic; another is from a different era not as well studied; the third is someone you should have heard of but fewer people collect. Which would attract your cash? Those on a budget will face questions like this every day.

ra7595fd3288.jpg rx2790bb1888.jpg
    rx4880bb1429.jpg

dlhill132, Alegandron, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted