Intercept storage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dave M, May 4, 2018.

1. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I use a guardian double row box that holds silver bullion 1 oz. coins in their airtites. Unfortunately, the one I bought doesn't hold ASE's, but I have others I store in it.

I also have one of the double row intercept shield boxes, but I store "raw" coins in them. The coins are also in airtites.

I primarily use NGC boxes to store my graded coins. I have a couple PCGS blue boxes that will hold the new fatter PCGS holders too.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

IMO, you can scrub hard new post-2000 lincolns ,throw them into the hard plastic slab box. As long as they stay bright, your slabs are fine. When the cents turn brown, replace them and all is well. Least expensive protection you can get by far, and chemically as effective. Jim

5. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

7. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Jim, would you also have desiccant in the environment, or will the oxidizing penny do the job?

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I use both. I have the silver desiccant "block" for lack of a better word. They are about 2x4. You bake them to re-energize them. I also have a small bowl of copper cents in my safe as well.

Chiefbullsit and Dave M like this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well, most of the time, the humidity here is so low I can't use the touch pad on my phone without blowing on my fingertips. Today the WX report was 100s, no rain in foreseeable future, but yes, a few small ones with indicator.

Dave M likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lucky. Half the time mine doesn’t work cus I gotta wipe it all off

11. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I have been using them for years. I replace them every 2-3 years or so and the coins still look good. They probably would have done just as good in the PCGS/NGC boxes but for peace of mind I chose Intercept for my favorites.

2018-05-05 06.23.10.jpg

JPeace$ likes this.
  12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Scrub hard with what? A file?

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll say this about Intercept Shield technology - it works, and I highly recommend it !

That said, it comes in a few different forms. There are IS slabs, IS slab holders, and IS slab boxes - and they all work. But that is assuming that you also follow the rest of proper storage procedure.

What I am trying to say is this - if you use IS products, but you do everything else wrong - then the IS products are not going to work as well as they should, or nearly as long as they should.

Proper coin storage encompasses several different things, and each one of them is equally important and required ! You can't just do 1 and forget all about the others, nor can you do just 2 and forget about the others. You have to utilize ALL of them if you want to protect your coins as best you can.

So what are all the steps ? I've posted them here more times than I can count, but I guess I'll do it one more time.

1 - individual hard plastic coin holder - for each coin
    2 - an inert storage container that can be closed and or sealed. A safe or Tupperware container for example.
    3 - rechargeable silica gel packs inside the storage container.
    4 - the storage container needs to be kept in a cool, dark place where the temperature varies as little as possible, preferably a place with no exterior walls.
    5 - ALL non inert materials must be removed from proximity to your coins. That means all paper, all vinyl, all cardboard, anything and everything that is not inert must be removed from proximity to your coins. And yes that includes original packaging materials because none of them are inert.

Stork and Dave M like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted