Inquiry: Has Anybody Seen 1980 Isle of Man (Silver) Viking on Horseback 5 Pounds (KM-29a)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jul 2, 2022.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

This is a coin I have on and off wondered about for some years and is listed as essentially an "ordinary" NCLT crown in the IOM series. It is the same design as the gold coins that were issued 1973-1983 in 1/2 sovereign, sovereign, 2 sovereign and 5 sovereign sizes but is a silver crown, light in weight at 23.84 gm and diameter of 36.1 mm.
    The coin is designated as KM-29a, and may be simply a pattern as many sources do not list it. But many also do not list the 1983 gold Viking on horseback either (this is the sovereign size):

076EE254-5003-4448-8825-23EABBA31E0C.jpeg ADA50A5D-DCEE-47C4-A995-93490AABDB1D.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

That was so nice a portrait of the Queen.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I so agree; too bad we couldn't have kept a "Young Head" version of QE II for 60+ years....

derkerlegand likes this.
  5. Mister T

Mister T Active Member

I haven't seen one, though in the last few years I have a few more obscure modern world gold pieces for sale so one may turn up.
    Is there any listed mintage?

6. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, we are on the lookout for these gold and other pieces (I posted on my 1983 IOM Viking proofs here before). No mintage listed in Krause (and with a value pegged at 45 USD!).

Mister T likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted