Inquiry about coin graffiti

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by roman99, Jun 28, 2021.

1. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Hi, I recently purchased my first ancient gold, a Justinian I Solidus, and I realized that there appears to be graffiti at 5 o'clock on the reverse, it seems to be "XIII" does anyone know the meaning of this graffiti? Thanks.
    SB139

Attached Files:

Marsyas Mike, Chris B and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stephen Brandt

Stephen Brandt New Member

yup grafitti quite common, worse one i have is a 1787 CT cent with heavy x's on both surfaces, probably from some bratty kid who got his as tanned later

4. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

It means 'Thirteen." :>)

Andrew McCabe likes this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This is a very nice coin! The obvious interpretation of this graffiti would be a numeral, but I don't know enough about this issue to give a qualified opinion. A larger research project on graffiti on Roman gold coins is currently happening at the University of Heidelberg, Germany (see here) – this might be the research you are looking for.

My most interesting Roman graffito likely is a name, perhaps an abbreviated form of Mabienus:
    Römische Republik – RRC 394:1a, Denar, C. Postumius, Diana und Hund (neu).png
    Roman Republic, moneyer C. Postumius, AR denarius, 74 BC, Rome mint. Obv: Bust of Diana r., draped, with bow and quiver over shoulder. Rev: C. POSTVMI AT/TA (ligated); hound running r.; below, spear (with graffiti: MABIEN). 18mm, 3.85g. Ref: RRC 394/1a.

Marsyas Mike, Ryro, Bing and 3 others like this.
  6. Roma

Roma Active Member

Thank you! I didn’t know the university of Heidelberg project.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Not sure if that is correct. Probly: "tredecim"

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    roman99 and Ryro like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I believe the B is a Bankers Mark. However, I like to think it is graffito of my namesake from these times as “Brianus the Bold”

(I think that is better than@Ryro the Revolting” ). :D :D :D

[​IMG]
    RImp
    Marc Antony
    32-31 BCE
    AR Denarius
    Legio X Equestris - Caesar Denarius
    B bankers mark Eagle Galley Standards
    From WIKIPEDIA:
    Legio X Fretensis (of the sea strait), also known as X Equestris (Mounted): before 58 BC–45 BC, Julius Caesar's personal legion

Marsyas Mike, Orielensis and Bing like this.
  9. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Yes I know that, I mean whats the significance of 13?

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted