Input On Standing Liberty beauty

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by larssten, Oct 1, 2016.

1. larssten

larssten Well-Known Member

Just got a hold of this one from a larger lot. It looks great without wear, but I'm no expert on the high grades. Anyone with a guess on grade or can say if this coin looks like it's been cleaned? Doesn't look like the white color of other coins I'm sure has been cleaned..

Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Why do you think it's been cleaned ?

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't see any signs of cleaning in your pictures. Does it show hairlines under a strong light?

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The coin looks cleaned to me, most obviously left of Miss Liberty and left of the eagle.

Insider, Rheingold and krispy like this.
  6. larssten

It's not like I actually think it's been cleaned. It's more that I have never had my hands on a older coin with such luster and bling. Also has no toning, just very shiny, so wanted to hear someone else's opinion [emoji4]
    Can't really see any hairlines.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Same here. Looks cleaned to me.

Insider and krispy like this.
  8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Very inconsistent fields, now that Mike and Larry draw my attention to it. Something is amiss.

9. orifdoc

orifdoc Well-Known Member

Cleaned yes, undoubtedly. There are multiple areas of obvious parallel hairlines, but the bigger issue is flashiness without a typical luster pattern - typical of polishing. A bit of remaining normal luster can be seen on the reverse, around the eagle's head and in the protected areas between the lettering "QUARTER DOLLAR."

Cool coin nonetheless. One of my favorite designs and quite unlike any other circulating US coinage.

10. larssten

Thanks for the inputs! Exactly what I was worried about - the massive flash without the "normal" luster and toning I see on other old silver.

11. larssten

How about ideas of grade not putting too much consideration into possible cleaning/polishing? [emoji6]

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's been my experience that too many do just that instead of giving it due consideration, and is how we end up with so many meh coins that are still "acceptable".

From what I see, the coin doesn't, or at least shouldn't, deserve a straight grade.

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Looks AU to me. The style of the hairlines is consistent with a light cleaning, though I suspect that the coin only suffered a wiping. I feel the lighting may be bringing out the hairlines more than they would in-hand.

Insider likes this.
  14. larssten

Here are a few more pics. Straight shot without angle and direct light. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps it was beautifully toned at some point, now more flashy.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto, ditto and ditto

Insider likes this.
  16. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Yup. The surfaces are not original.

17. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

AU 53 :) ( but lightly cleaned )

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

....which, if true (and the dark spotting on areas of both faces supports the theory), is conclusive proof of being dipped and/or mechanically cleaned. Coins don't tone into late-stage colors in small spots like that. I see the hairlines, but they're not necessarily extensive enough to immediately believe they're deliberate so at this point I'm thinking the only offenses against the surfaces are chemical ones.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

...and that is IT.

I keep an inexpensive, 100% original, high grade, frosty WHITE, 2nd tier TPGS MS-66 Washington quarter in my pocket at shows to show others what 100% original frosty WHITE silver coins SHOULD look like. The silver-gray color of the coin is wrong. There is also a very slight amount of rub on the OP's coin. All the bright diagonal, parallel lines in the first two images are from slight brushing (cleaning). This helps hide the rub on the coin.

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The fields below the eagle and the area to the left of Liberty appear to show hairlines.

I would grade this AU details, cleaned.

Draft saved Draft deleted