Ink consistency on US paper money

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Legomaster1, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I noticed that on banknotes printed by different FRBs or at different years have either a lighter, or darker colour of ink. However, I didn't really think much of it.

Today, I was browsing the Bay, and came across this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-1-ONE...703663?hash=item4d90049eaf:g:uq8AAOSwx~lclnpM

The seller alludes that these are printed with different ink than $1 notes today.
    Is there a truth to this, or has the same ink consistency always been used from around 1963- present?
    (I didn't mention 1930s-1950s notes, because they obviously have a much greener hue than notes today, and deserve their nomenclature- "the greenback").

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

The guy say he kept them in 1976. Yet, the bill are dated 1995. Proof of time travel?

Legomaster1 likes this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I figured it was a typo...probably meant 1996.

Inks are formulated in-house at the BEP.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

There was a problem in the 1990s with the black ink on the face flaking off.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

notes are not printed by FRB's, they are made by the BEP either in DC or Fort Worth, the top note in the link was made at Fort Worth..

Legomaster1 likes this.
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The term greenback, in regards to paper currency, dates further back than the 1930’s-1950’s. It dates back in the 1860’s.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Legomaster1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted