Ink Bleed-Through Error?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by coincollector_9, Feb 17, 2012.

1. I found a $1 bill today with what looks like ink bleeding through. On the front, you will see mirrored parts of the O and E where ink bled through. I don't know anything about paper money errors, and I cannot post a picture. Opinions???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Well, as much as a picture would be nice, those exist out there and I find them on occasion strap searching. It will garner a small premium but not hundreds of dollars. Maybe $5-15 depending on condition. If there's anyway you can photograph it, please do, we would like to check it out.

4. dannic113

dannic113 Member

It also depend on the condition. I have a Gem 2004 series $50 that the ink looks like it's bleeding thru but it's just such hard and crisp embossing on the serial number (it's raised like reading braile) so the number's on front and can easily be read on the back of the note as well just backwards. There is another possibility of an overprint on back error. However without a picture to see if the ink makes any kind of sense or if it's just smudges, bleeding etc. we'll never know. I've even seen die pack marks on bills that look like ink errors but they're obviously not.

Chris Clem likes this.
  5. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Mostly examples of this are called notes with superior embossing. They can command a small premium in ChCu and Gem examples, but nothing too crazy. Maybe an extra $5-$10 max.

6. Mypepsi5

Mypepsi5 New Member

7. Mypepsi5

Mypepsi5 New Member

How about something like this??? I'll take a pic of the back as well.

8. Mypepsi5

Mypepsi5 New Member

9. nichole1734

nichole1734 New Member

received_2342547325776653.jpeg IMG_20190316_030854.jpg what about this? We we got it from a gas station last night. It's in great condition except for the rolled corners.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  10. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I am not sure what "bleed through" is. Typically what looks like part of the word one from the reverse on the obverse is nothing more than an ink transfer from the sheets being stacked on one another.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What did you do? Pay with a $500.00 bill and got change in $100.00 bills? o_O

Brina and Hookman like this.
  12. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Clyde...meet Bonnie...lol

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Victor1979

Victor1979 New Member

I have a 1 dollar star note that you can see the O and the E one the front that’s printed on the back, it won’t let me post a pic of it

14. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Probably just some wet ink that was transferred during stacking.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Pictures people, and for you new members, start your own thread (with photos).

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It all looks normal to me. I didn't get excited about any of it.

17. Adriancoats

Adriancoats New Member

I have a dollar bleed through I think

18. Collecting Nut

Start a new thread and post photos of both sides in full frame, not the thumbnails. Welcome to CT.

Richard Dye likes this.
  19. David Todd

David Todd New Member

I have $20 dollar star note filled in star! And then extra ink error on back on top of white house!

20. Collecting Nut

Please start a new thread. Post photos of both sides in full frame.

Welcome to CT.

21. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Over inked. When they feed the ink well tray of the press, it sometimes has a little too much till it spread out over the rollers. They can adjust the flow of the ink.

Draft saved Draft deleted