Initials scratched into gold coins - how is value affected?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JonLloyd, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JonLloyd

JonLloyd New Member

Hi - I have a couple of $20 Liberty gold coins (1855 & 1861). They're in good condition but each has two initials scratched onto the obverse side. Obviously they still have value, but how much depreciation should I expect in this state? Am having trouble finding comps out there. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

AFAIK the only thing that will save these from being melt value is if they are rare dates, and even then you are really compromised. Put your pics here (helps you get to 10 also so you can sell them here).

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If you do offer them for sale on CT, be sure not to do so in this thread . . . they may only be offered in the Buy / Sell / Trade forum.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And you need 10 posts.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You probably would not get many offers above melt.

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

If the initials were MF or JB, (the US Presidents who served during the years your coins were minted), and if they carved the initials into the coins themselves for some reason, would that, maybe, make the coins more desirable and collectible?

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Absolutely, assuming there is rock-solid proof that it was them. :)

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Many MS graded $20 coins sell for barely above melt as it is... so I would expect those to go for melt, and not really any over it.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Like what, a daguerreotype of them doing it lol

LaCointessa likes this.
  11. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I expect most buyers would only pay melt.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Check the dates. Its a 55 S from the other post and a 61 P. A MS 61 55 S is about a five figure coin

jwitten likes this.
  13. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Better dates, for sure, but it is AU details. Looking at price guide, looks like some AU graded ones have gone for as low as $2,100 this year. And that is without damage.

baseball21 likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Very true, did seem to fall into the hard to say what the best move is. The pictures aren't really good enough to see how bad or not so bad it may be. My gut reaction though was set a price for a bit and see what happens being better than common dates.

15. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

If by "in good condition" you mean they grade good, then, initials or not they're worth melt.

Draft saved Draft deleted