Inherited Collection. Now what?!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by RobEdinburgh, Jul 21, 2020.

1. RobEdinburgh

RobEdinburgh New Member

Hello
    tldr:
    I've inherited a coin collection, is there anything here of value or interest, and how best to proceed?

More detail:
    My friend gave me a tin of old coins, she died last month aged 96 and I found more coins when I was clearing her house. There are a lot, possibly hundreds. It's not a formal organised collection. I've no idea what to do with them all. There are mostly British, African and Italian, although others too, from Victorian to much more recent. I suspect just gathered and kept over the years, although there was one that was worn on a chain.

So how best to proceed? A coin dealer for an assessment (recommendations for by-post or Edinburgh area), or maybe people would be able to have a look if I was to upload batches of photos?

I'm not really looking to start a new hobby, don't have time for all my current ones, but I would like to sell any valuable ones and ensure that I don't put anything of actual interest in the metal recycling!

I feel it needs an experience eye to glance over and identify anything worth further investigation.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Rob
    Hope I'm not taking liberties by asking!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RobEdinburgh

RobEdinburgh New Member

IMG_20200721_142958.jpg IMG_20200721_142924.jpg IMG_20200721_142837.jpg IMG_20200721_142823.jpg IMG_20200721_142806.jpg IMG_20200721_142732.jpg IMG_20200721_142639.jpg IMG_20200721_142547.jpg
    Just experimenting with photos. This is just the tip of the iceberg! I've put a photo of both sides. I'd been struggling with a magnifying glass, its much easier to zoom in on a photo. Would posting pictures like this work for identification purposes?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to CT Rob.
    Great images. That will get you good answers.

5. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Hi!

So you've got some keepers in there (1893 Half Crown, 1897 Ruble), as well as a bunch of random junk coins. Be sure to go through the whole lot with a fine toothed comb.

manny9655 likes this.
  6. RobEdinburgh

RobEdinburgh New Member

Thank you both. I'm not sure I'd catch much even with a fine tooth comb! But you've confirmed that its worth investigation so I'll look for a reputable dealer I can get them appraised at. Just had a look in the other tin and found this. Bit of fun :) Signed by Scrooge McDuck :happy: IMG_20200721_152910.jpg

Coin Obsessed, capthank and Jim Dale like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@mpcusa
    Disney Dollar!

capthank and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT

capthank likes this.
  9. Petercoin

Petercoin Active Member

You may also like to purchase A Pamphlet called Managing and settling a numismatic estate
    It is available from ANA for a small fee.
    20200721_114002.jpg

capthank likes this.
  10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Are any of them of any value paddyman98?

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears to be a collection from possibly her travels over many years. From your statement, it looks like you want to sell them. I should think that you wouldn't have any trouble finding a reputable coin shop in the Edinburgh area. I'd take all of it there and have them appraise it. Don't sell any at that time, but just get a feeling for the more valuable pieces and then do some research on them before selling. Good luck.

capthank and rosethe like this.
  12. RobEdinburgh

RobEdinburgh New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Really glad I asked. :)

expat and capthank like this.
  13. Coin Obsessed

Coin Obsessed Active Member

14. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

The Italy 500 Lire is a nice silver coin which should carry a reasonable premium to silver content.

I visited a small coin shop near the university in Edinburgh during a European vacation about 5 years ago. That shop should be able to help you.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

To summon someone, either say their name three times in a darkened bathroom mirror or preceed it with an at symbol @paddyman98

rosethe likes this.
  16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the disney dollar is from 1987. beat up but probably worth more than $1 to someone, maybe even $5! hahahaha

17. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The 1897 Russian 1 Ruble is about $40

Draft saved Draft deleted