Inheritance coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rachel Perez, Sep 17, 2019.

1. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

You can't send it directly to the grading company yourself by certified mail. You have to join PCGS or NGC and after joining send it in on one of their submission forms. The fee varies according to what category you choose. Pay the shipping fee, the insurance and return postage fees. after doing so, it will probably cost you more than the coin is worth. It's your decision and money.
    Every once in a while ANACS has a special but I don't think they've had one for a single coin. Don't know if there's a fee to join ANACS.

Rachel Perez likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

@Rachel Perez Are there any coin shows coming up in your area or possibly a coin club? If you can't find a reputable dealer this may be your next best option to have someone else take a look at it in hand.

As for getting it graded, at some of the bigger coin shows sometimes the grading companies will show up to do onsite grading or you can submit a coin in person right at the show. Both PCGS and NGC will be at the Whitman Winter Expo in Baltimore, Maryland in Nov. NGC looks to be at a few others around the country as well. You can submit a coin in person at some of these.

A Link to the NGC Schedule.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/events/

Rachel Perez likes this.
  4. Rachel Perez

Rachel Perez Just a very wishful thinker!

Thanks for the info! I will definitely check into that!

PS... I see you are in Montana! I was born in Ruby Valley Hospital!

MontCollector likes this.
  5. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

To me, ANACS is a good compromise of price and lends credibility towards whatever is submitted. The other two are superior for sure but their fees keep many good coins from ever being realized and passed on. I have many many coins that are nice collectables but could never get the best dollars out simply because it cost too much (through them) for their prices to be realized. That's where ANACS comes in I think. It's a blend of cost savings yet still lending authenticity to something highly collectable.

Rachel Perez likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not trusting dealers is an understandable stance for someone new to the hobby. Most dealers have so much invested in inventory and reputation that they would not risk that for a small monetary gain. May I suggest that we have dealers here that might be willing to help you with this. They should probably PM you. You could send it to one of them and have them submit it for you. Let me mention the elephant in the room, if for authentication, why not ICG? @Insider

Rachel Perez and Heavymetal like this.
  7. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I don't know. My local coin dealer won't pay you squat yet everything on his shelves are latest Redbook prices all overgraded too). Mine are never worth too much for some reason though. I ever took one back to him out of the flip (about a year later) to see what he'd give me. It was bad. Same with gold jewelry. One hundred and something for a charm bracelet that I later sold for a thousand. Anyway, this guy is apparent;ly willing to risk his reputation being the point.

8. Rachel Perez

Rachel Perez Just a very wishful thinker!

I've decided to take it to a coin show. Thanks to Montcollector for the link for NGC, they will be in Orlando in Jan which is only about 60 miles from me! I have a few coins I'm going to take, it will be interesting to see what they say. Can't wait!

Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

We're going to get you addicted...

Rachel Perez and Stevearino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted