Inheritance coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rachel Perez, Sep 17, 2019.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That would be a pretty good trick, considering there were no dollar coins struck for circulation between 1935 and 1970. ;)

Halves, yes.

JeffC likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Maybe there are commemoratives or Canadians?

Steve

4. lordmarcovan

No commemorative US dollars in that period, either, but Canadian is a different story.

5. Rachel Perez

Rachel Perez Just a very wishful thinker!

6. Rachel Perez

Sorry.. Newbie mistake! What about these.. IMG951424.jpg 590455705.jpg 590455800.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    lordmarcovan and Stevearino like this.
  7. Rachel Perez

Here's the better pic of the 1925 with the s at the forehead.. just curious as to why it is there 590456268~2.jpg 590456268.jpg

JeffC and Stevearino like this.
  8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Dang. That really looks like an S mint mark. What say you @paddyman98 and the other error guys?

Steve

GeorgeM likes this.
  9. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Wow, I'm curious too! Can't wait to read what the experts here have to say.

10. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I never really even noticed that till you said it!

11. Rachel Perez

Should I post it in the error forum?

zachary ethington likes this.
  12. Rachel Perez

I think this 1923 is doubled on her chin, lip, nose and front of her neck.. Am I wrong? And when I ran it through coin scope it came back with error coins as examples.. image000000.jpg image000000~2.jpg

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I, for one, would forego the gloves. If you aren't used to them, it makes you more likely to drop them. I would however make sure my hands are clean and handle the coins by the edges. Good habits should be developed early.

14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

For more exposure the 1923 Peace dollar would probably get more replies if posted on the "Error Coins" forum. You should also post full size photos of the reverse and clear photos of the area(s) in question. Contact a few of our error coin experts: @Fred Weinberg; @mikediamond; @paddyman98; @JCro57; @furryfrog02; @desertgem; et al.
    Also, if you already have the app for coinoscope, I'm guessing you're familiar with all the available apps re coin collecting. PCGS and NGC have a few good ones.

15. lordmarcovan

The 1923 dollar looks normal to me, but feel free to post it on the Errors forum.

Rachel Perez likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

That little "S" is quite intriguing. I am 99% sure it is not an error, but rather something done outside the mint (a counterstamp). Why is the question. I doubt it's anything that will add value, but it's interesting, for sure.

Rachel Perez likes this.
  17. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...it appears to be raised, not incuse...some kind of dropped letter? IDK...Spark

Stevearino and Rachel Perez like this.
  18. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Guessing glued on S. Try acetone soak

19. Rachel Perez

20. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Might as well become a coin collector, like the rest of us on here. Unless you are broke and hungry, there is no real need to sell any coins, unless you just want to pass them over to someone else. Be the caretaker of the coins you have, maybe for the rest of your life. Think about it, you get to hold history in your hand. Wonder about where that coin has been, what it may have bought. I think thoughts like that about some of my ancient Roman and Indian coins. 2000 years is a long time ago, so is 100 years ago, and I feel lucky to have some of those bits of treasure to fondle and cherish.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If this is in reference to the acetone soak, why not, it won't hurt the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted