Inheritance - Authentican Help

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by aubade21, Jul 24, 2015.

1. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Hi all-
    So not to go into too much detail, but I have a family member that inherited some collectables. Mostly stamps but a few coins, both silver and gold. From what I understand, the original owner was fairly well to do, and enjoyed his hobbies for many years, never selling any part of his collection. The family member that inherited these collectables is neither interested in the hobby nor knowledgeable about how to sell. So I asked him to take some pictures of what he has and send them along to me. Most of the coins were fairly common, a lot of junk silver, tokens, and a few gold pieces. However, the original owner told the current owner that he had one “very valuable” gold coin and to take care of it. Then, this picture, that was among several dozen others landed on my inbox. Please don’t get mad at me for the quality, I didn’t take it. In fact, with this picture, you know what I do. Of course, I’ll recommend he take it out of the envelope(!) that it’s currently housed in, and getting it slabbed. But I wanted to run it by this forum to see if there are any obvious indicators that it’s not authentic. I’ll ask for more pictures later, and if it looks good, I’ll go up there and weigh it, but I don’t collect gold, so I hoped to get some feedback from those that are more knowledgeable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another set of coins-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I realized this is not a lot to go on, and I hate sounding like a noob on this forum, but I don't have a lot more than a conversation and these pictures to go off. It would be great for him if they are real. I just don't want him to walk into a pawn shop and sell them for pennies on the dollar (which he as considering).

Any help regarding obvious problems regarding authenticity are most welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Definitely get that 1907 double eagle authenticated. If genuine, we're talkin' big bucks.......

serafino and EasyE418 like this.
  4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

And you can look up all the foreign gold online; any that's "bullion value" in lower grades, you know it's common. The heir, of course, is selling at the very worst time; your biggest assistance may be to persuade him to be patient. Somebody "thinking" about a pawn shop is (dare I say it?) IMpatient...

Since stamps have been my primary hobby for over 60 years (coins are just a sideline, and I've already consigned the best to Stack's, 3 years ago), I might have some ideas there. If you wish, PM me privately.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Tell the family member who inherited these coins that if he sells the 1907 double eagle (or any of the other gold coins) to a pawn shop that you will personally shoot him yourself.

Chris

6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Why does the double eagle have practically no rim, especially the obverse? Is that they way they were made?

7. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

HR. Very nice. Could be looking at $20k.

8. EasyE418

Because it is a High Relief. That thing looks like a beauty. I am going to say it is a counterfeit.

Can anyone guess the grade on that puppy? Could be talking minimum of $20k up to $60k

Tell him to put that thing in a capsule for god sakes!

spirityoda likes this.
  9. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I was looking up some info and was wondering myself, if that was a 1907 High Relief-Flat Edge

If so that is a valuable coin. XF-40 lists at 9,750 and goes up from there.

10. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

11. aubade21

What gives you the impression it is counterfeit? It has no direct impact on me either way, but if there are obvious signs, I don't want to waste the time and money sending it in to a TPG.

12. green18

Take it to a local shop and get some opinions as to whether or not there is any doubt on authenticity. If the coin is genuine (and I'm far from an expert on gold) then it would be to your friends advantage to get the piece graded.

spirityoda likes this.
  13. EasyE418

Given the fact that he kept it in an envelope with other various coins exposed to the elements and not in a capsule.

Doesn't make sense that an owner who knew the coin was extremely valuable wouldn't go to such lengths to protect, secure, and properly document this coin?

Not to mention, the coin looks very very good. I was checking out some of the coins on eBay and it looks MS63+ to me.

14. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I will say the 1907 is authentic.I am 99.9% sure. It has at least one of the right die markers in the correct place.

15. aubade21

Well, I can't speak for the owner and his storage practices. The gentleman was in his late eighties when he died, and his collection spanned most of his life. I'm only relaying what I know, and from what I understand, he believed it to be real. What I'm hoping to pass along is if there are any obvious marks or details on the coin that identifies it as counterfeit. Personally, I don't see anything, but then again, I'm an early copper collector and gold is not my forte. If no conclusion can be had, I'll just work with him and get it sent in.

16. EasyE418

Fair enough. Just connecting the dots. Typically if you are a coin collector, you cherish your collectables and want to preserve them as best as you can.

I hope it turns out to be a golden (pun intended) situation as your family member will be in line for a handsome sum of money and you will be able to put another beautiful rare coin in slabbed circulation.

17. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I'll elaborate . The "U" in UNITED on the reverse has a notch or die defect on the left side. It is seen on almost every example I have come across. Although the picture is poor that defect can be made out of the coin you posted.

The pic I post here is of a MS64

1907 ms64.jpg

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

First check to see if there is chocolate in there.

19. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Make sure he knows not to clean them! It would be sad if such a nice coin got killed by a cleaning.

NOS and spirityoda like this.
  20. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

It could just be the lighting playing tricks on my eyes, but are we sure that 1907 is authentic? It looks somewhat "dull" in certain areas, such as the dress lines and the roman numerals. Also, the rays don't taper as much as what I'm seeing on Coinfacts. Maybe I'm just seeing things though.

That comment aside, if it's the real deal that's quite an inheritance. I'd definitely get it in a slab ASAP or not. Just use it as a pocket/conversation piece :)

21. green18

That too Frank......:)

Draft saved Draft deleted